What would you do if...

What if your 17 year old daughter and her 18 year old boyfriend had a baby and wanted to get married and live together to care for the child together?

Would you sign the paperwork for the daughter to marry him if they had already been boyfriend and girlfriend for 4 years?

Should it make a differance that he has a job, car, and apartment? Should it make a differance if she intends to finish school?

amber710

Asked by amber710 at 7:20 PM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Hard question, I really dont know... I was married at 15. My mom signed for me and almost 19 years later we are still happy, in love and of course together. For us, it was for the best but for someone else IDK. If they marry now or wait til she is 18, what is the difference really?
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:35 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• No I would not let her marry tell 18. When she can marry with out my consent.

Answer by louise2 at 7:23 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I got married at 18 and it has lasted 45 years. We didn't have children though until we had been married about 5 years. My husband and I both finished college and we have had a wonderful life, but when we married, we knew it was for our lifetimes. I'm not sure too many people go into it with that idea any more, but it could work if they really want it to.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:25 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Well its done, the baby is here, he is responsible, probably not what you had hoped and dreamed for her, but she will do it any way when she turns 18, and you might as well keep the peace, good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 7:28 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I think it does depend on if he has a job, car and the ability to take care of her and a child. How far away is she from turning 18? If is a few months then I would probably go ahead with it. I think it really depends on the situation. Have they had a really rocky relationship? Maybe you could make them do premarital counseling before you sign the paper.

Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 7:31 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• yeahh how far from 18 is she?

of course.... he's more likely to stick around if they marry, perhaps?

I'd consider it **ONLY** if they agreed to and started and signed a contract for counseling
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:35 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• let her wait til 18, she qualifies for more public assistance now as a single mom
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:40 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I would let her however I would have a serious talk with her and let her think it over for at least a week. After all you said she is 17 in a little while she will be 18 and do it any way then may resent you and you may ruin your relationship. Just explain to her having a baby doesn't mean you have to get married and that this should be something she wants not for the kid. In the long run that may cause more harm to the baby than good. If my now husband and I got married when we got pregnant we would be divorced now. We waited until we knew it was what we wanted and that we should be together. We were together for three years before getting married worked out all our major divorce ending problems then got married. We have been married two years are no where close to divorce are happy and we do have minor problems, but we don't fight a lot and aren't killing each other. In the long one though remember if you say no she is more
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:44 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• likely to want it more. I would make sure she understands. Encourage her to try it out first. Like by staying over on the weekends. Than if she still wants tolet her know you will be there if she need and that you plan on checking in from time to time at least until she is 18 to make sure she is doing ok and above all THAT YOU LOVE HER and she can always come to you good luck.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:48 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• if she stays in school and they are both doing things to better their lives, then yes, let them get married.
    Anonymous