How would one go about reading the bible?

Do you just open it up and read?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:23 PM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Front to back, page by page.

Answer by louise2 at 7:25 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I agree start from the front and work your way back :)
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 7:28 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• My grandmother said to read three chapters a day and 5 on Sunday, and you'd finish the Bible in a year.

I've heard though that it is better to read it by topic, which I don't remember what they are now.

I read the Bible about 5 times front to back using my grandmother's method, and I found it was fine to read it that way.

Answer by Bmat at 7:28 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I prefer to start in John and read through the end. I read the Old Testament too, but the New Testament is great to start with.
    shaylynnp

Answer by shaylynnp at 7:42 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Our church has a journal with a through the bible reading guide.. it usually has a mixture.. old testament, new testament and psalms or proverbs.

Here is a link with crosswalk.com for a bible reading plan - read through the bible in a year..

http://biblestudy.crosswalk.com/readingplan/
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 9:13 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• First it's important to recognize why you're reading the bible. Is it for prayer? To get to know Christ better? To learn about the Christian faith or understand how to live as a Christian? To learn about history? Just to say that you read the whole thing? Why you're reading will affect how you approach the bible.

Wherever you start, I'd recommend a 4 basic steps:

1. Understand the scene - make sure you basically get what's going on in the scene - who is speaking, who is present there, the context of the passage. This is where a good Bible commentary can help.

2. Imagin the scene in detail, espeically if you're using the Bible for prayer or to better know Christ. Picture being there and interacting - but keep it real based on an accurate understanding of the scene (step 1).

(cont.)
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 9:38 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• 3. Consider specific aspects of the scene - looking for one specific aspect of a scene at a time. This will help you have some structure when you're reading. Focusing on one thing and drawing conclusions trains you to look for common types of meaning and helps with understanding.

Some different aspects to examine: actions, words, emotions, attitudes/dispositions, motivations, what does the scene say about how to live as a Christian or what does it say about doctrine?, how is God acting in the world?

Cosider both what is done, and what is not done. For example, the fact that Jesus does not get angry with someone is an important point to note about his attitude in many scenes.

And you look at the different aspects of each scene to.......
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 9:44 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• 4. Draw a conclusion - When you look at a Bible passage with one specific aspect in mind, you should draw specific conclusions. The conclusions will be related to that aspect of the scene you were examining and should be specific and grounded in Scripture.

The goal is to have a specific idea that you can use to reason about the faith. This is called a proposition in logic — a fact or point that you can use in your reasoning process.

You want to move beyond thinking, "Gee, this is a nice passage," and into thinking exactly how you can learn from the passage. Conclusions like Jesus offers mercy to everyone, without exception or Christ tells us to avoid sin at all cost, or humility is an essential disposition for coming to Christ. Things like that.

And you just repeat these 4 steps as you go through the bible. I found this method the most helpful for myself.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 9:46 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I have a study guide in my bible and it starts with matthew mark luke and john. From there it just all over the place first explaining jesus, the the holy spirit, and so on and so on. I have the everyday bible the new century version. Maybe you could look for something like that. That way you'll have verses to read everyday and a question that makes you think about what you read.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 2:17 PM on Oct. 19, 2009