Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do?

I have a 19 yr old daughter that is married and has a 1 yr old girl. Since her and her husband have been married neither one of them have held a job for very long. The last stint was my daughter had a job for 2 1/2 weeks and got fired for missing work and her hubby got fired a month before that. I am worried about my granddaughter. Neither one can support her and they are jumping from one house to another. Staying with friends and hubbys relatives. Neither one want to keep a job. I have asked them to give temporary gaurdianship to me until they get on their feet and have a stable home for the baby. Please no bashing looking for some advise. No I can't let them live with me because I have no room for them and can't afford for them to live with me I still have a 14 yr old boy at home. Any advise?


Asked by kywildcats at 7:34 PM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

Level 3 (27 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • I hear ya. I can empathize with you. However, it is not your responsibility to raise the child. Let them do it. If the baby is being cared for and is in good health, they have to learn what it takes to raise a child without someone rescuing them all the time. It's tough, I know... but if you start now, trust me, you will never get out. They will always rely on you. Be tough and strong.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:40 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

  • If you don't have room for them how will you house your gradndchild? Its hard to give your child to someone even if it is your own mother. Even thoough theyre going through a hard time theyre trying to do it as a family and all you can do is help them out 'as a family' in any way that you can. They probably feel that you picking out just your grandaughter to help is unnacceptable

    Answer by Shyma at 7:38 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

  • I have no room for them. I have a crib in my room for the baby. She stays with me all night at least 2-3 times a week. So no I'm not picking on them. I have helped them with money and everything that I can. I know it is hard to give up a child. It is hard for me to ask that or anything but I am looking out for my granddaughter and seeing what is happening to her.

    Answer by kywildcats at 7:42 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

  • I know its not my responsibility to raise her. But I am afraid she will do without and I can't stand by and let that happen. My daughter has yet to get her 1 yr check up for the baby and she is over 13 months now. I am afraid that the baby will do without. I am just frustrated with them not wanting to do better for her.

    Answer by kywildcats at 7:47 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

  • BTW her hubby doesn't have a drivers license or a GED to try to better himself. My daughter has her GED, license, and a car I bought her when she got her GED.

    Answer by kywildcats at 7:49 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

  • are they at least getting help from the department of human services? maybe you could make an anonymous call to CPS? idk

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:59 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

  • The only help they have got is state insurance for the baby and WIC. Nothing else. IDK either I am torn right now.

    Answer by kywildcats at 8:02 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

  • Update:

    My daughter came over today and told me she wanted me to have temporary guardinship of my granddaughter. That makes me feel a lot better about things. I will only have until they get on their feet and can provide a stable home for her.

    Answer by kywildcats at 1:19 PM on Oct. 19, 2009