How would you get your 16 month old to start walking?

My son is a hard headed 16 month old that is not walking. He will stand on his own but not for very long. His doc. told me that he will do it when he is ready and as long as he is walking by 18 months then there is nothing to worry about. I was wondering what kind of things I can try to get him on the move.

Candie2008

Asked by Candie2008 at 8:04 PM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Leave him alone. The more you pressure him the longer it will take.
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 8:08 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Well not to get you worried but my Doc told me if my Son wasn't walking by 15 months then there might be more to it. The onset for different disabilities is always different per child. I would get a second opinion, If I were you. It won't hurt and might give you piece of mind.

mommymine3

Answer by mommymine3 at 8:11 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Find something he likes and see if he will reach up for it. While he is reaching move it forward see if he will walk for it. After a set or two, tons of praise and the toy of course. Very slowly increase the steps he takes before he gets the toy. But lots of praise. And give him time. My youngest is afraid to fall and it took her forever to walk because of it, wont jump either.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:16 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• My son is 16 months and not walking yet.
    And no, he does not have a disability... kind of. He was born 3 months early, so he has a developmental counselor he works with, but he's improved vastly in the past few weeks.
    I agree with Shyma, don't pressure him. He'll get there.
    Just hold his hands and have him toddle around. If your back starts killing you, sit in a roller chair and have him "guide" you around. If he's able to hold onto something, like a table, place something of interest close to him, once he grabs it, move it a few steps away, and encourage himto grab it again.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 8:18 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Take him to a toddler mommy and me class. He will see the other toddlers
    Also, stop picking him up so much.
    I wouldn't worry, he'll be running soon. Enjoy every stage. :)
    chrissyCMM

Answer by chrissyCMM at 8:20 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Does he have one of those toys that you can ride on or has the handle for them to push in the back? I am convinced it would have taken way longer for my twins to walk if they hadn't gotten those on their 1st birthday! They finally took off and stgarted walking with those.
    AddyLeigh

Answer by AddyLeigh at 8:36 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• He is little he weighs 19 1/2lbs now and was low birth weight 4lbs 15oz at 37 weeks. He didnt start crawling until 10 1/2 months. I don't know if any of this has anything to do with it or not. The reason the dr. said 18 months is because at his check up she evaluated the way he held onto stuff and crawled she said he is a productive crawler and he thinks he can get places faster by crawling. Does anyone know what they might do at 18 months if God forbid he is still not walking.
    Candie2008

Answer by Candie2008 at 8:47 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Don't push. Just provide more opportunity to walk. That means never put him in a walker (that delays walking more than anything). Don't use swings, jumpers, etc. Also, don't hold him a lot when you're at home. Just give him more chance to walk and he will.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:34 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• No worries momma....my youngest started walking really late, my ped. said if there not walking by 18 months then they might start with some physical therapy. Even then it dosent mean theres something "wrong" kids all do things in there own time. Good luck :)
    jokermom

Answer by jokermom at 9:37 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• My 2nd child didn't walk until 18 months. At 15 months I was worried and called early intervention (google early intervention for your area) and they diagnosed him with a developmental delay. Not walking was due to poor muscle tone and sensory issues. He's extremely high functioning and nobody knows he has aspergers, he's in a regular classroom and has friends - typical child. But we put in a lot of work when he was really young to get him to this point.

Answer by missanc at 9:55 PM on Oct. 18, 2009