My Son was just diagnosed with the SWINE FLU!

So I just got back from the ER where my Son was just diagnosed per nose swab with the H1N1 virus. It came on all of a sudden with NO warning and he woke up around 3am with a fever of 101.1 and vomiting. Today he's had the body aches, chills, sore throat and stuffy nose. I took him in asap before he got any worse. They gave me Tamiflu (sp?) and said lots of rest and lots of fluids. He can return to school and activities 24 hrs after the fever breaks and based upon how he feels. So my question is....has your child been DIAGNOSED with it and have they been given Tamiflu? Also I have 2 other little ones and they said to get Tamiflu for them as a precaution.

mommymine3

Asked by mommymine3 at 8:21 PM on Oct. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• yes both of my neices just had this the same thing except there tems were 103.4 and they both took the tamiflu and it worked they both feel good just they drank lots of water and they stiill take tylonol or motron also while taking the tamiflu good luick and the othere 2 kids will prob get it also...
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 8:25 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• We didn't use Tamiflu my childs doctor said it was worthless for most people. My son like yours had a low grade fever we did not take him to the ER would have if he had a high fever in the 104 range. We took him to the doctor and they gave him the test. Came back as H1N1. He did not feel well but he had the seasonal flu last year and was much worse. He was sick three days then back to normal.
    Anonymous

• My older kids had the swine flu, but didn't get tamiflu, we used the usual flu remedies and they were better in a couple of days. My 11 month old didn't get it - maybe because he was breastfed?

Answer by missanc at 9:45 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• My doctor wouldn't give us Tamiflu... which I guess is ok. Since none of my kids have asthma I guess they didn't care. We took my 9 yr old in last week on Tues because her fever was still very high after 2 days and she was so dizzy that her bed was spinning she said. They said just to ride it out. She started feeling better yesterday...three days after her fever broke. She may try school tomorrow. My 11 yr old was not as bad and neither was my 7 yr old. My 15 yr old had it in Sept and they didn't give her anything either. I was a little pissed because the NP told us when I took my 9 yr old in that Tamiflu can have bad side effects and if we end up stopping it because of that then they just wasted a dose that could have been used on a asthmatic kid. I get her point, but did she have to say it like that?

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:08 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• My daughter had H1N1 in May. It was the flu!! 3 days of fever (the highest was 102.5), a few more of cough and congestion, one really gross bloody nose. Neither my husband nor I contracted it.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:32 AM on Oct. 19, 2009