What are some reasons why prisoners of violent crimes SHOULD be kept isolated from other prisoners and receive only basics needed to survive?

I have a paper I am doing and I am stuck. The only thing I can think of is so that they won't influence other prisoners to be worse than before. Any other ideas? Thanks ladies.

Amanda_Jo1209

Asked by Amanda_Jo1209 at 8:37 PM on Oct. 18, 2009 in

• because they should pay for what they've done and not get the luxury of human interaction. So they don't harm other non violet prisoners. So that guards will have better control over them when they have to interact with them. So they can't form gangs that often have a blood in blood out policy. To keep the hostility of the general population to a minimum. We don't need to pay for them to have anything more than the basics of life.
    Anonymous

• Well, because if they are in there for a violent crime, they may still be a threat to other prisoners as well..and they shouldn't be given more than they need to live because they don't deserve privileges.

Anonymous

• also isolation will eliminate stressors that may cause that prisoner to act out violently. you know there wouldnt be anyone aggravating him or messing with their stuff etc. imo plus they dont deserve anything more than 3 hots and a cot. period
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 9:31 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• isolation causes insanity! look it up it is complete tourture, i am all for giving them only what they need. so we dont want to take all the violent people and make them More crazy! i dont support anything that causes that.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 4:53 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• The only thing I would say, would be if they were a threat to other inmates. I would not keep them in isolation, because that just causes people to go crazy and become more violent.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:57 PM on Oct. 19, 2009