Do you/did you change your toddler's diapers in the middle of the night?

My daughter is 15 months old, and I do not change her diapers in the middle of the night. She gets an overnight diaper before bed, and then I change her as soon as she wakes up in the morning. She has never had any sort of diaper rash.

My mother in law says that I should change my daughter's diaper at least once in the middle of the night. I told her that if I did that, my daughter would begin waking up in the middle of the night EVERY NIGHT, and would no longer be "sleeping thru the night".

What do you think? Do you/did you change your young toddler's diaper in the middle of the night?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:46 PM on Oct. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• No... can't say I've ever woken my child for a diaper change, unless there was poop in the diaper and I was concerned that he/she would get a rash. And I would never wake a toddler in the middle of the night unless the house was burning down! LOL!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:00 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Once my son quit waking up to feed during the night I quit changing his diaper unless he pooped (Which he rarely did). Just wasn't worth him waking up and me having to spend hours getting him back to sleep. As long as she hasn't peed through her diaper and isn't getting a bad rash from it she's fine.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 8:48 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I don't change my daughter's diaper in the middle of the night(9 months old). I agree with you. Only if I've tried everything else to get her to go back to sleep. The diaper change is normally my last hope if she wakes in the middle of the night. She does seem to kind of wake up when I do change her
    msfila1980

Answer by msfila1980 at 8:50 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Your mother in law is insane lol. I would not wake my 15 month old up to change his diaper unless he pooped. What are you supposed to do, set your alarm for 3 am and get up just to change it?
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 8:52 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• my rule of thumb.. if they wake up complaining of a wet/dirty diaper then change them but if they sleep through it i leave sleeping babies lie if you know what i mean.
    idebusashes

Answer by idebusashes at 8:52 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• No way! My son is 15 months and I have not changed his diaper in the middle of the night since he started sleeping through the night at 5 months. He sleeps 10-13 hours straight through every night and usually does wake up with wet clothes but he has never woken up with a diaper rash and always wakes happy and smiling. I would rather him and me both get that continuous amount of sleep.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 8:57 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• If you're worried about rashes put diaper rash cream before bed. No I wouldn't change him in the middle of the night unless he wakes up complaining of it.
    dennysgirl07

Answer by dennysgirl07 at 9:04 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• No, I don't change my son's diapers in the middle of the night. I would never wake them up to change their diaper!

Answer by missanc at 9:41 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Nope, sure dont.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 9:46 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• No my daughter was potty trained at 15 months.
    kerri-

Answer by kerri- at 10:00 PM on Oct. 18, 2009