Should I match the two rugs in my double-sized family room?

I have a smaller room (where we watch tv) connected to the larger room (with a cathedral ceiling) for my family room. After five years, I've finally decided to furnish the larger room. I've always had a 4x6 Persian rug for our tv area, but I would need an 8x10 rug for the larger area. I doubt that I'd ever find the match for the smaller rug, so I'm looking to buy two new rugs. However, I wonder if I should match the two rugs. The walls are the same color, and the furniture will be within the overall color scheme (i.e., sage, gold, light brown, rust). I've seen two rugs that have abstract squares with those colors, but they have a different pattern. So, they're similar but not identical. I plan to play up the rust a little more in the larger room stick with the sage/light brown in the smaller room. Think in terms of my rugs either being identical or fraternal twins: which is a better idea?

jonosmama

Asked by jonosmama at 8:47 PM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Definately different, two the same looks too "model home, cheap set" type of thing. Like you went and got it at one of those places where you get a whole room of matching stuff for one low price. You don't want it to look like that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:52 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Two different rugs would be charming. You don't want the colors to clash, of course, but two that go well together would be fine.

Answer by Bmat at 8:49 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Girl, I went to the carpet store and bought a remnant. I think it's like a 4 x 12. It's a little different color and texture than my regular carpet. I think I paid 45.00 for it. Check it out, you never know what you may find there.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:16 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• different would be good.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 4:57 AM on Oct. 19, 2009