How many ounces of breastmilk do you pump in a day?

So I will be working 8 hrs a day, how many ounces should I be pumping? This seems to be tricky, plus I am not sure how many times I can just go and pump. Any tips would be very helpful, thank you.

Hesmynavyman

Asked by Hesmynavyman at 8:54 PM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The rule of thumb is once for every three hours away. Baby needs one ounc eper hour opf separation. More is fine if you can get it.

I generally did this: Pump one side while nursing the other every morning. At work pumping for 15 minutes at 10:30, 12:30 and 2:30 (approximately). I'd have about 12-16 ounces per day at the end of it...usually closer to 12. And it was plenty.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:36 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• 1.5-2 ounces per pumping session is normal, sometimes more, sometimes less. I've pumped for the same amount of time and gotten 1 oz one day and 4 oz the next (only pumping once a day), so it can vary a good deal, and that's completely normal. And to keep your supply up, you should pump at least as often as you would be nursing if your baby was with you, perhaps a little more often -- so if you'd normally nurse every 3 hours, maybe pump every 2-2.5 hours since pumping is less efficient.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:53 PM on Oct. 18, 2009