Is it hard for you to pump out lots of milk?

For me I never seemed to get more then 3 ounces out, 3 from each breast. Is that about normal? Sometimes I only get 2 from each breast, but that's not enough is, since My baby is growing?

Hesmynavyman

Asked by Hesmynavyman at 8:56 PM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What you pump is not a true indication of what the baby is getting. The baby is so much better at getting the milk out than a pump. I breastfed my youngest for almost a year and was never able to pump morethan an ounce or two.. So yes, you are normal.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:07 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Oh, I forgot to add... as long as baby is growing and having 6 to 8 wet diapers a day, she or he is getting the right amount..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:08 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Three per side? That's...well...an awfully LARGE amount. Normal is one half ounce to two ounces TOTAL for both breasts.

It's PLENTY. Relax. Baby needs one ounce per hour.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:30 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I know everyone is different, but I can pump between 3 to 4 oz out of one side and 2 to 3 out of the other. But my baby will then nurse about an hour later and there will still be enough for her to make her full. So you definitely make more then you pump out.
    Anonymous

• i can't pump out any, but i'm on my third ebf fatty pants baby, so i know it's somewhere in there, just doesn't come out for the pump lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:36 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• 3 oz from each breast is a lot. I've had times that I can only get 1 oz from both breasts combined! I produce a ton of milk. I went from a 34C to a 34H after my milk came in. Babies are just far more effective at getting the milk out than a pump is. If your baby is feeding at the breast, seems satisfied, is growing, and wets 6 diapers a day then your supply is great!
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:44 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Wow! That's a lot. I couldn't even cover teh bottom of a bottle.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 9:45 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• normal output is 2 oz from both breast anymore and well your consider wierd lol. i pump 4-8 oz from each now but when ds was born i would pump 16-18 from both.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:37 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• That is plenty of milk. Above the norm, actually.
    mama02040608

Answer by mama02040608 at 11:30 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• When I would pump to replace a feeding (away from baby) I could get 6-8 oz pretty easily, either with a double mechanical pump or even with the little hand-held manual one. Every woman is different.
    MonicaE521

Answer by MonicaE521 at 11:33 PM on Oct. 18, 2009