website(s) for reading/spelling?

my 5 yo loves to play on the computer, and I want to know if there are any interactive websites that help with reading & spelling? If not, are there any programs you can purchase that do this? (he's very resistant to reading with me and with me helping him spell, etc.)

He'll let me read to him, but if I try to get him to read (by stopping and pointing to a word), he's says, "no!" (because he doesn't want to do it) It's frustrating because I know he can sound out words and read, but he's being a stinker about it. So, I thought the computer would help, since I don't push it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:56 PM on Oct. 18, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• www.starfall.com
    www.spellingcity.com
    0123456

Answer by 0123456 at 11:14 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• My kids loved both the Reader Rabbit and Jumpstart CDROMs. You buy them for the appropriate level, like kindergarten? They work on letter sounds and building words, and makes it a game.

Answer by missanc at 8:53 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Oh - you could probably get them used for cheap off ebay or craigslist.

Answer by missanc at 8:55 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• www.starfall.com
    It's SO helpful! My daughter was completely resistant to reading but when her teacher gave us the link to starfall she started to beg to go on it and it amazed me at how fast she learned.
    Check it out!!
    EmmysMom113

Answer by EmmysMom113 at 2:37 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• our school uses starfall.com too

its GREAT! even the 3year old playsalong with her sisters when they're on it.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 7:45 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• THANK YOU all sooo much!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Oct. 20, 2009