Do you think most religions are based on fear of the unknown?

Fear of the after-life, fear that there isn't an after life, fear that we aren't good enough, fear that we think we are to good? I mean, it is all so open to interpretation. I know some people say it is wrong to question "God" but wouldn't that be wanted to show who cares enough to think and make decisions. I myself am a believer that it is fear based.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:00 PM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes, yes, yes, and yes. Religion came out of primitive man's fear of the unknown. They didn't have the knowledge of science yet, so they created deities to explain the (at the time) unexplainable. Makes sense to me.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:05 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I agree with caitxrawks that this is the reason religion came about, but I don't think it pertains to religion in this day and age. People need or desire religion for different reasons, not just fear.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:09 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I think religion is based on most peoples need to believe in something. Most people are so afraid to stand on their own two feet and believe (the truth) that they themselves control their own life and the outcome of it through their own actions. Everything you do is a choice and those choices make up your life!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 9:15 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I think initially, RELIGION was based on power and control. But individual faith is something entirely different and based on one's heart and what love they feel from their God. (IMO)
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:17 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• It is based on fear for the followers but for the leaders it is based on greed.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:38 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Of course. If everyone knew the truth there would be no religion, just a way of life.
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 9:39 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I dont think always fear based but answer based. They want answers and have found ways to get/have them.

Sometimes its fear that keeps someone where they are or fear is what drives them to learn something.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 9:44 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• No. Maybe I am a glass is half full type, but I think most religion is based on a search or hunger for rightousness, truth, and mainly answers. I think this is true considering most religions- everything from Judeo-Christian to primitive paganism.
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 9:45 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I am Catholic, I follow my religon and I have no fear. My religion is about liviing for Jesus not about fear.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 9:45 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I feel religion is a comfort zone. People use it to feel better about death. However religion itself, controls us by fear, manipulation of the people in it as well as the words in the bible to fit they wants and expectations and the need to want to go to a better place when we or others die.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 9:48 PM on Oct. 18, 2009