chore list for an 8 year old boy????

im a first time mom with an 8 year old boy, i feel like he is old enough to do chore's, but how much is to much? i think he should make his bed everyday and clean his room, take out the trash when needed... i was thinking about a chore chart, but im unsure. any idea's?

jennna

Asked by jennna at 9:04 PM on Oct. 18, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My children started chores at two. I just give them things appropriate for age. At his age he should be able to clean his room make his bed put his clothes away wash dishes setting the table vacuum picking up the house Just be sure not to over load him and give him no more than 8 chores a day but only 2 heavy chores in any. Also be sure to change the chores up daily so he doesn't become board. Don't the chores consume more than 1-2 hrs of his day or he may become over whelmed. A good thing to make sure he keep up on them is some kind of reward chart or system. Good luck I hope this helps you.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 9:30 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• My kids have also been doing chores since they were toddlers.
    My son is 8 and is "supposed" to (supposed to being the operative word here) keep his toys picked up, make his bed, put his dirty clothes in the hamper, keep his shoes/coats put up by the door, empty the dishwasher twice a week (the kids rotate), do his laundry (yes he does his own laundry including folding and putting away), clean up the table when he makes a mess, sweep the kitchen, dust if asked, take the trash/recycling out to the alley if he can lift it, help carry in groceries and put them away, keep the yard (and neighbor's yards) clean, shovel/sweep snow in the winter.
    Most of this stuff is done weekly or just when I ask. The only one he gets paid for is picking up trash in the neighbor's yards.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:35 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Your ideas are good starts. He would also be able to help with the dishes, pull weeds, clean the garage, etc.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:50 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I have them make their beds, keep the house clean, help wash dishes, take out trash, keep toys picked up in the yard, taking a bath, brushing teeth w/o being told.

I give them a point for everything i see them do without having to be told, and its 20 cents for each point. At the end of the week and month all the points add up and the most my 8 year old has made is 22$ In two weeks time. It has changed his attitude and i get more help around the house.
    Luckybear05

Answer by Luckybear05 at 12:24 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• We started our kids on chores young too, and by age 8, they had responsibility for their rooms as well as helping out with after dinner clean up on a daily basis. We have two after dinner chore lists and rotate them between our two older kids (8 & 9). Wash dishes, wipe counters, take out compost, sweep kitchen; and clear table, take care of leftovers, take out trash, sweep dining room. This takes them about 1/2 an hour after dinner every night.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:08 PM on Oct. 19, 2009