HELP, CAN'T TAKE MUCH MORE

MY 4 YR OLD WONT GO TO SLEEP. BY THE TIME SHE FINALLY PASSES OUT ITS ALMOST MIDNIGHT, IF NOT LATER. I CAN'T DO IT ANY MORE. I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING, NO NAPS, SLEEPING ON THE COUCH, IN MY BED, THE FLOOR. I HAVE TAKEN THE TV OUT OF HER ROOM, AND THAT DOESN'T EVEN WORK. I DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO. I'M SO TIRED, I HAVE BRONCHITIS AND A 2 YEAR OLD.

ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:13 PM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Why not let her watch something boring like Thomas the Train or one of thos baby einstein shows that has classical music. If you are tired of it, then tell her she has to lay there and be quiet cuz you said so. We let our kids watch something boring on their TV and they always fall asleep and don't bother us. I'm not trying to brag, but it works for us. Maybe it will work for you.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 9:20 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I have a dd that is hard to get to sleep too...I feel your pain.

My dd's issue is that she cant be still long enough to let herself fall asleep. So to help I lay with her on her back....me on my tummy next to her and I wrap my arm around her belly and pull her close to minimize movement....she has gotten use to this procedure and it really helps her calm down.

Just a suggestion... ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:25 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• i also have a 4 yrold that will not sleep sometimes he will fall out around 3am i took him to see the dr and he told me he has a.d.h.d.i freaked out i really didnt know what it was.he was put on meds.they are not working well he still does it ,the dr told me to give him benadryl at nite.i dont do it because i want him to go sleep on his o wn but he cant.i fill realy bad.
    cyndilou76

Answer by cyndilou76 at 9:48 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• The weight suggestion by mom2twobabes is a really good one. Lots of children struggle at night letting go, and that weight really does help calm them, i've seen it work. Letting a child who already can't let go fall asleep watching tv isn't a good idea because it doesn't allow their brain to fully rest. When a tv is on in the background you never get into a full rest and therefore are not rested and cranky the next day if you're a child. Plus your brain never has time to just stop and therefore has even more things on the mind then the day before, and thus an even more un-relaxed child. I would try laying with your daughter and holding her tight, obviously not tight enough to hurt. Because its new she will probably not like it at first, but give it a good 2 weeks before calling it quits to see if she adjusts. If this is not working after 2 weeks look online and see if you can't purchase a weighted blanket...continued
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 10:03 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• These blankets are just what they're called, a child sized blankets with actual weights dispersed. The entire blanket only weighs like 1-2 pounds so its not going to crush the child, its just enough weight that it helps the child feel grounded and calm down. These blankets are used very often in children with autism, adhd, and add, however can be used by anyone really. I know a couple people who's children have absolutely nothing wrong with them but mom sends the weighted blanket to daycare so the child can calm down and nap better. At home she's able to sleep just fine but at daycare always wants to get up and play. The blanket works wonders. Hope things get better for you!
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 10:06 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• HEY!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the weighted blanket idea!!!

I will search google for them!!!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 6:09 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• i have the same problem! mine is three and she hates sleeping! what i finally di was bought a chart with stars adn every nigh she went to bed she get to get up in the morning and get a star. at the end of teh week she get something if she did good. It take a few days for tehm to get it but it worked fro us.
    MarineWifeyof2

Answer by MarineWifeyof2 at 4:26 PM on Oct. 21, 2009