HOW TO TAKE A TODDLER OFF BOTTLE?

HOW CAN I TAKE MY 2 YR OLD OFF THE BOTTLE? HE IS STILL ON FORMULA AND WONT TAKE IT OUT OF A SIPPY CUP.

ANY IDEAS? PLEASE HELP? THANK YOU!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:20 PM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i havent got to that stage yet but my friend just removed all the bottles and her son soon realized and took the sippy cup
    mom2kaydence09

Answer by mom2kaydence09 at 9:36 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• At 11 months old I started to wean my daughter. She was on 8oz. The first week I went down to 6oz., then the next week I went down to 4 oz., then 2oz. and viola, it s was over with. I'm not saying it was easy but I think that is the "easiest" way. I did break down when she got a cold for 2 nights. But then I just took it away.
    VBeachMommy

Answer by VBeachMommy at 9:45 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Take the bottle away and give him a sippy cup instead. And there's no reason for him to be on formula - gradually replace an ounce or two with milk every day instead of formula until it's all milk. He will drink out of a sippy if that's all there is and you don't give in.

Answer by missanc at 9:52 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• transition with a sipy cup that has the nipple of a bottle. does your son take table food? if so just take the ottle and throw it away and he'll realize he has no choice to drink out the sippy cup or not get anything to drink
    MommaSyrup07

Answer by MommaSyrup07 at 9:54 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• missanc,
    he is on formula due to medical reasons.
    Anonymous

• Formula for medical reasons? I think you should get a second opinion. If your toddler has medical problems you can get human milk from a milk bank.

Don't give the child a bottle. Throw them out.
    Anonymous

• easy throw them out. cold turkey thats what i did the day my dd turn one. failure to thrive?? is that the problem?
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:35 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I was sooo afraid my son would freak out when I took away his bottles. I was really sick of washing them- so I put them away one evening while he was asleep. My son was pretty comfortable with a sippy cup, however. Perhaps your son would prefer a strawed drink over a sippy cup.
    Try giving up the bottle cold turkey- it just might work:) Good luck!
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:53 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• i like the wean down method better... less suffering for baby. and for you.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 4:46 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• WITHOUT THE FORMULA HE CAN'T GAIN WEIGHT, NO MATTER WHAT THEY DO HE STILL CAN'T GAIN WEIGHT.
    Anonymous