Prelabor or early labor?? Help. This is my first and I'm lost.

So I'm 40 weeks and 2 days at my last check up I was only dilated to 1 1/2cm I have lost the mucus plug. I'm confussed about what's going on now for the last 2 months or so I've been having really badcramps like PMS or constipation cramps andand not to many Braxton hicks but within the last two weeks I'm starting to have more frequent BH (which are painful) and cramping. The other night the BH were coming every 10 minutes for 2 hours then stopped. I have back aches like crazy, pressure, and pain in the vagina bone area. So my question is are the contractions in early labor the same as when you are in active labor? What do early labor and/or pre labor contractions like? And does this sound more like prelabor or early labor.
PS. TMI I'm sorry I know but I have so much discharge I need to wear a pad, but it's thicker and not watery and doesn't soak the pad so I'm pretty sure it's not the water breaking or leaking.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 PM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• well, idk about going into natural labor, but i do know about bh contractions..... if they are in a pattern for more than an hour they are not bh, and if they hurt they are not bh. you might want to do some walking or clean the house to bring back the contractions and remember to time them.... idk when your dr. wants you to go to the hospital (every 2 min? every 3 min?) but it sounds like you will be going into labor soon
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:30 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• hmmm i don't really know the difference between early labor or prelabor... but i think what is going on is getting your body ready for labor but it's so hard to tell if you will have your baby tomorrow or in a week or 2. :) when you are in active labor it might at first seem just like what you have been experiencing but the contrax get closer and closer and more intense. good luck :)
    Anonymous

• This sounds like pre-labor to me. Normal stuff. I am wondering about baby's position, too. I am suspecting that your body is getting ready, maybe working to move baby into the perfect position. The hormones are surging and relaxing causing you to become affected.
    You can trust in your body to do this work. No need to worry. No need to check the cervix, it doesn't help anything, really. You can enjoy this time more by knowing that all departments are working to harmonize for the Big Day ahead.
    Good luck!! :-D

"Labor is not about dilation. Your body knows how to give birth whether or not you have a pelvic exam during labor. Birthing women need encouragement to trust their bodies, and to be the stars of their own labors." ~The Doula Guide to Birth
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:58 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• If you're in actual labor, then your contractions will at first feel like period cramps or Braxton Hicks but will progressively get stronger and closer together...more rhythmic. Here's the important part....if they're real contractions, they won't change with your position. i.e. If you're sitting, stand up and walk around...if they stop, they're not real labor. If you're walking around, sit or lay down...if they stop, then they're not real labor. Also, Braxton Hicks can sometimes be brought on by dehydration...so if you're feeling contractions, drink some water and see if that stops them. As for your water breaking...that can be a gush or a slow trickle. Mine was a slow watery trickle with no odor and was difficult to distinguish from the discharge. Hope that helps!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:13 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Honey, it doesn't matter what you call it.

Your doctor should have told you when to come to the hospital. Contractions 5 min. apart, whatever.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:25 PM on Oct. 18, 2009