baby acne

ok, my baby girl just turned 1 month old yesterday and right on cue she started sprouting the baby acne. is there anything i can do besides washing her face with soap and water? it looks terrible lol. . . i feel bad

princessbeth79

Asked by princessbeth79 at 9:38 PM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They told me in the hospital that the baby lotion causes baby acne in little babies like that and you should wait to put that on them. I did the baby lotion with my first son not knowing that and he had baby acne, with my second I didn't do the lotion and he's never had it.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 9:43 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• no, the dr. said it's bc of the hormones changing in their body. the hormones from me (when they were inside me) are going away, causing a fluctuation in hormone levels just like when you are in puberty and your hormone levels change and give you pimples. i don't use lotion on her face.... just mild baby soap and warm water.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:50 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Our pedi said not to use soap on the face, just warm water, because the soap can irritate it more. But it will go away in probably another 2-4 weeks, so don't worry about it too much.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:03 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Baby acne is caused from your hormones being released from the baby. Unfortunately there isn't anything you can do. My son is 2 months old and he had it as well around 1 month. It wasn't very bad at all but we just had to wait it out until it went away. We never use a lot of soap on his face. Just a teeny tiny bit on a warm wet wash cloth, and just wipe it down. Hang in there. It goes away! But whatever you do, DO NOT squeeze his tiny pimples. It will scar.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:11 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Princess is right. It's all about the horomones leaving her body. My son had it at about the same age. I know it doesn't look nice but it WILL go away. My pedi said give it two weeks and that's exactly how long it took to go away. Just wash her face with a warm washcloth once or twice a day. I wouldn't use soap but if that's what your doctor said then I guess do what you feel is best!! Good luck!
    Jem0582

Answer by Jem0582 at 10:13 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• My daughter had it and it took about a full month (I think, its crazy how long ago that seems and she is only almost 8 months old). It went away on its own. I have a friend whose daughter had it so bad that the doctor sent her to a dermatologist. There was not a spot on her face or upper back and chest that was not covered in it.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:44 PM on Oct. 18, 2009