Gatorade, good or bad?

My son will not drink water under any circumstances. When he was 2 his dr. recommended I start giving him watered down gatorade along with milk and other liquids to help with hydration. As he's become older my son, now almost 4 loves gatorade and probably drinks 2 20 oz bottles a week. He still hates water, and isn't a big milk drinker, a sip or two with his cereal and when I give him chocolate milk. A friend of mine and I were discussing his drinking habits in a casual conversation when she made a comment about all the sugar in gatorade and how its really not good for you. When I got home I looked at the bottle and in 20 oz there's only 7 grams of sugar. It seems to me there's more sugar in apple juice then gatorade, which is something kids drink all the time. So what do you ladies think? Should i cut out the gatorade and thus have neither water nor gatorade in his diet or let him be happy with his gatorade?

ba13ygrl1987

Asked by ba13ygrl1987 at 9:53 PM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• well i give my son gatorade, but i buy the powdered stuff and put a pinch in a cup of water, just enough to flavor it. i did that when he was 1 1/2, he's 2 1/2 now, and has no problem drinking plain water. i really don't see anything wrong with gatorade, i think i'd prefer that over juice. watered down of course
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 9:58 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• If he refuses to drink water maybe try those flavor packets you add to water. There are some healthy kinds. But I don't think gaderade is too bad.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 9:59 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• 2 bottles a week is not a problem. If you're really worried, try G2, a low calorie gatorade.
    But I think you're right, there's a lot more sugar in apple juice and other fruit punches that people regularly give infants and children without thinking.
    Six_on_my_own

Answer by Six_on_my_own at 10:01 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Gatorade is all artificial. I think juice would be better. My kids never had Gatorade so they wouldn't know if they liked it.

Have you tried all different kinds of water. They have nice stainless steel water bottles for kids that make water taste good. Store ice is a treat for me.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:03 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• My son actually drinks the G2 gatorade, not the normal kind. And yes i've tried the flavored water route as well. I actually now give him like 3/4 gatorade 1/4 water if I water it down because if I add any more water he says it tastes funny and won't drink it. I don't really like him drink much juice, he gets juice boxes when were on the go and orange juice but I just always felt the gatorade was healthier until my friend and I had the conversation earlier. I had just never had anyone tell me gatorade was unhealthy. Of course water is best, but my child gives a new definition to the words stubborn and picky so water is just not happening. :)
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 10:12 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Gatorade is artificial. When my kids arent' drinking water or milk, I give my kids 100% juice diluted 50/50 with water because it's a natural food - natural is always better for your body than something man made. The sugar in fruit is fructose, natural sugar. I don't know what kind of sugar is in gatorade because I don't allow it in my house but I can almost guarantee it's not a natural sugar. All sugars are NOT created equal.
    I would gradually decrease the amount of gatorade and increase the water until he's drinking water only.

Answer by missanc at 10:24 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Um, gatorade has electrolytes and those are about as natural as you can get. No not everything in gatorade is natural and healthy for you, but that would qualify as natural sugar. If you read your 100% juice its not all natural, they still add shit to it to make it taste good, if it were all completely 100% natural with nothing artificial it wouldn't taste good. Everything has some degree of artificial man made, even water. But, thanks for your opinion. Gatorade obviously isn't for everyone and seems to have its benefits and downfalls, just like everything else :)
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 10:52 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• My boys love gatorade. We have it in the house a lot during the summer because dh takes it to work. The doctor always told me to give it to them when they are sick and throwing up. My boys, like yours, also do not like water. So mainly in the summer they drink watered down gatorade. I figured in the summer that was better to keep them hydrated then juice.
    Anonymous

• Well you never said it was the G2, that has like 1/2 of the sugar that regular gatorade has.

But even the G2 has 7 grams of sugar in every 8oz, not in the 20 oz bottle. So that bottle has 17.5 grams of sugar.

http://www.gatorade.com/Products/g2.aspx#/products/g2

The regular gatorade has 14 grams of sugar for every 8oz, so obviously that's worse.

I also agree that apple juice has absurd amounts of sugar, that's why I only give Grace one serving (8 oz) of juice a day.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:10 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• No - my kids drink the all natural juices, so it's JUST the juice. And that's when they have juice, which is rare. btw - the sugar in gatorade is sucrose, it's a different type of sugar than that found in fruit juice. I'm a microbiology major and my husband is a chemist who tests products for purity - I know what goes in my kids bodies.

Answer by missanc at 9:03 AM on Oct. 19, 2009