my oldest child

My 9 year old has autism, and he is almost over 100 pounds. Is there a way that I can curb his appetite without starving him. I have actually thought of getting a chain and putting it around my refrigerator to keep him out. Any other ideas. Much appreciated. Thanks much

twoangels

Asked by twoangels at 9:56 PM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• My 12 year old has autism, so I understand you completely and have talked about this same issue with several of my friends. Several of them have locks on their refrigerators and it may come down to that, or I have one friend who only keeps healthy options in there (fresh fruits and veggies, yogurt, milk, etc) and she got a small dorm type frig that she keeps in her room for other stuff and she keeps her room locked. Also - several of us have gotten locking cabinets where we keep any sweets, chips, etc. It's not the end of the world, but we do what we can to help our kids. I think typical parents just wouldn't understand.
    Also - make sure he's getting enough physical therapy. Is it possible that the weight gain could be due to a medication?

Answer by missanc at 10:01 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• what does autism have to do with his eating habits? nothing that i know of...anyway, keep him on a strict eating schedule (you do this when they're younger so they get used to it and keep their weight maintained) breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner. we do that, but sometimes the morning snack is skipped cuz they don't want it. you just have to make sure the snacks are healthy, like yogurt.
    Anonymous

• make the changes as easy on him as possible, to start.... skim milk. wheat bread. meat based dinners only every other night. diet pop (if any!) and start watering down AKA diluting fruit juice. if he's into applesauce, get sugar free. ditto with canned fruits. swap icecream for sherbert or frozen yogurt.

And find an activity he can tolerate.... teeball, swimming, open gym, ballet, tap, karate, etc :)
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:45 AM on Oct. 19, 2009