peanut allergies

I recently heard something interesting about peanut allergies.

I was discussing food with my coworker and talking about how strange it is that so many children have peanut allergies. When I was a child, I never heard of such a thing! A lot of kids had pb&j on a regular basis. She said she had read a study stating that its not necessarily peanuts the kids are allergic to, but all the pesticides! Pesticides are constantly changing and being "updated" and mixed with other new pesticides and have caused so many problems in children.

I was wondering if anyone else had heard this. What do you think about it?

epoh

Asked by epoh at 9:59 PM on Oct. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• My theory is that the increase in food allergies is partially related to introducing allergy trigger foods too soon (like dairy, wheat, soy, egg whites, nuts, etc.). Early vaccines and combinations of vaccines are another potential contributor, along with the increased use of baby formula and the decrease in breastfeeding.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:29 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Interesting...I hadn't heard that theory. Allergies in general are on the incline and have been for years. A lot of scientists are blaming anti-bacterial soaps, disinfectants, etc. Our immune systems were designed to handle a certain number of ailments throughout our lives. The theory there is that because we're reducing the number of germs, viruses and bacteria our immune systems are exposed to, our bodies are sort of "creating" things to fight...like peanuts, pollen, etc. I've also been wondering if it might have to do with what mother's eat during pregnancy. I read a study about Canada versus the US and in Canada peanut allergies have been a problem with kids for longer, but they've also been recommending that pregnant women not eat peanuts for longer. Their miscarriage rates have also been lower for longer (as compared to the US). So, I often wonder if miscarriages are ever due to the mother eating peanuts, etc.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:19 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I've never heard this theory either but it makes sense. My son has peanut allergies, really all nuts, shellfish allergies, as well as a minor allergy to some other fish, an allergy to penicillin and seasonal allergies. I'm not a big peanut butter fan so I know I didn't eat much of it when I was pregnant and there is no history of food allergies in mine or his fathers family so its really a mystery why he's so allergic to so much. He actually has an epipen because just skin contact with shellfish causes him to have a severe reaction. If ingested were pretty sure it'd be a fatal reaction. The peanut allergy along with penicillin isn't so severe but it still doesn't take much. My son's allergist didn't offer a specific reason for allergies being on the rise, but he did state the US has a much higher rate of childhood allergies then other leading industrialized countries including Canada and most of the European countries.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 11:02 PM on Oct. 18, 2009