Best baby cereal?

My DD goes for her 4 month check up on Tuesday and I was told that he should give me the "ok" to give her baby cereal. So I was going to pick some up at Wal-Mart today..until I saw the millions of different kinds. I wanted to get the whole wheat kind..but then I saw the kind with DHA in it.. and the organic kind.. I got overwhelmed and left with nothing. Suggestions? lol

itsbree2you

Asked by itsbree2you at 10:25 PM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I just use the Gerber rice cereal. I think that's the best one to start out with, then move on to the oatmeal and whole wheat in a few months or so.
    Anonymous

• I use gerber rice or mixed.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 10:34 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• start with just plain old rice cereal. I use Gerber, it is a trusted name that has been around for ages. I think they have organic as well if you want to go that route.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:39 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• They're really much of a muchness...don't be surprised if baby turns up her nose as it's really not tasty. A mashed banana will work fine as a first food.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:44 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• No baby cereal.

Wait until closer to 6 months and start the baby on real foods not commercial baby food.

Here is a link to info on starting soids.

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/first-foods.html
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:45 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Rice cereal is a very poor choice for a first food. Oatmeal or barley is a better choice. Bananas or avocado are some of the best.

ps. new recommendations say to wait until SIX months for solid introduction and that is only a minimum. You need to wait until your baby has lost the tongue thrust reflex, is sitting completely unassisted, and has the pincher grasp down (key for self feeding). Also, google "open gut" before you make your decision on starting solids.
    Anonymous

• I would wait till 6 to 9mo
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 11:03 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I like the gerber rice cereal. Make sure you use a faster flow nipple when adding cereal. The slow flow nipples get clogged. Good Luck!!
    momtopreemie521

Answer by momtopreemie521 at 11:12 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I'd wait a while, baby needs to be able to sit up a bit in the high chair. I echo the rice and mix it with breast milk if you're nursing or formula if not. Don't mix it with water. And you don't need to put it in a bottle. It won't help a baby sleep longer at night and they can't really digest it that early anyway, so why waste money? I waited until 6 months. After all, once you start solids, you have to continue with them. No more just nursing or bottles, you have to deal with bibs and high chairs.
    MonicaE521

Answer by MonicaE521 at 11:38 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Wait until baby is able to sit on their own and can self feed. Baby cereal is sooo over processed. You can put brown rice in your blender and ground it up and then cook that. Or you can give oatmeal. Or even some toast. My kid went straight to table food.

MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 11:45 PM on Oct. 18, 2009