Should I compete?

I just peed on a stick last week finding out I was pregnant. Judging from my last period, I'm guessing I'm about 5 weeks along. This will be my 4th baby. I just had a baby 9 months ago so this one wasn't exactly planned. I have had 3 miscarriages in my day so I have learned not to announce the pregnancy until after 13 weeks.

Well coworkers and I have recently signed up to compete in a weight lose challenge with the local gym. It's a month long and whoever loses the highest percentage of body fat wins a free membership to said gym. I was really excited about this opportunity and I was put in charge of the whole program. Now that I've learned I am pregnant, I don't want to actively lose weight. But I don't want to drop out because I don't want to tell people I am pregnant yet. If I drop out without giving a reason it could make me look bad and I'm trying to get a promotion so that won't help. (cont)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:55 PM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I agree that you should talk to your doctor if you are considering trying to lose weight. When I was pregnant (I'm pretty obese), I actually lost 10 pounds in the 1st 30 weeks (then my appetite returned, begging for baked goods...). My doctor advised me to try to maintain my weight (as opposed to gaining like most women), and was fine with my weight loss (not so much with gaining it back). My net gain was 12 lbs by the end, which I am sure I lost during delivery. Just try to stay active during your pregnancy, and LISTEN TO YOUR BODY. It will tell you when you are pushing yourself too hard. If you ever feel lightheaded, STOP, sit, have a glass of water. Just try to take it easy, but keep moving. Again, talk to your doctor before you make any big decisions. Good luck, and congratulations!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:24 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• ( cont ) I need to lose weight as I am obese and the free membership would be great as I haven't found any at reasonable prices.
    Anonymous

• You can start eating healthy but NOT diet... You can also lightly workout if your doctor okays it, but most the time Dr. think its a good idea. So you may be able to do it still if you dont over due the exorcise regime and dont diet just eat healthy
    Anonymous

• i would compete but dont over do yourself find out what you can and cant do while ur pregnant and go from there....
    Anonymous

• I would suggest talking to your Dr. first before doing anything.  I'm not a Dr. so I can't say what is and isn't right for you but I think you make a good point in your post.  I don't see anything wrong with wanting to take advantage of this opportunity but I would however make sure that you don't overdo it.  Only YOU know when you are overdoing it.  Your Dr can't even tell you that one.  If you feel like you are, rest.  And good luck!

Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 11:09 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• If you're obese then you need to lose the weight, as long as it's lost in a healthy way I think you'll be ok, especially so early on. Look into the Abs Diet or the Eat Clean Diet, both are safe while pregnant, they aren't really diets in the traditional sense, they are more about eating healthy and balanced nothing weird, no calorie restriction, etc. Yo and the baby will benefit from a healthier lifestyle, and when you're obese and start living a healthier lifestyle some weight loss is to be expected! If you're new to exercise I'd take that part easy, lots of walking, swimming, some prenatal yoga/pilates/fitness DVDs would be a good start. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• talk to a dr- but if the competition is for who loses the highest percentage of body fat, you should be able to make progress by making healful diet changes and doing light exercise... good luck on having the energy to even walk into the gym, etc. and Congratulations!!
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 12:28 AM on Oct. 19, 2009