Christians, Do you pick up the hitch hiker?

I think you are suppose to pick up a hitch-hiker no matter what.

No, I have really been thinking about it. You are suppose to believe the best of people, you know give them the benefit of the doubt. And you are suppose to love all people. That would mean to me that you should go out of your way for them, the hitch-hiker included.

No matter if you were going the other way, if hitch hiker was a scary looking, if you don't have enough seats (against the law, but god's law is above that), no matter what you are suppose to pick up the hitch hiker right?

But at the same time I really wouldn't think that God would want me to put my children (or myself) in danger by picking up some random person. He doesn't want me to be haphazard in the care of my children.

And no I am not just looking for someone to say it is okay to not pick them up, if you do feel this way any bible verses to support you would be greatly appreciated.

wv_mom

Asked by wv_mom at 11:02 PM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Where do you get the idea that a Christian person has to pick up a hitch hiker?

The Bible may speak about love, compassion, generosity and hopitality. But also speaks of respecting the law of where you live, and about being wise.

Endangering your own life by picking someone you don't know is not wise. It also advise against ill-willed people. And to be cautious of "wolves in lamb skins"...

So no, I am not a "hard core" Christian, but even if I was, I am not picking anyone unless I know them.
    PrincesaBoricua

Answer by PrincesaBoricua at 11:15 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• They way things are these days I don't pick up anyone & I don't care what anyone says about it. I value my life too much to put myself in harms way. TheCraiglst killer looked like a nice guy too & look what happen with him.
    mommorgan

Answer by mommorgan at 11:08 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• No, I do not pick up the hitch hiker. God gave me the good sense and judgement to better keep me and my kids safe. Though, one time I did see a woman broken down on the side of the road with 3 children and I stopped for her.

When I see a hitch hiker, a car wreck, or an ambulance go by I do always pray for the people infolved.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:14 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I'm a Christian, but no...I do not. One time I seen someone walking alongside the road, their car a few miles back...I picked up the phone and called the police to see if they could go help them. Hitchhikers, I just say a quick little prayer asking for God to be with them and also say "God, I want to make it home to my family tonight...please forgive me"
    aklebeyers

Answer by aklebeyers at 11:15 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I don't pick anyone up. I don't really know where the Bible says to give people the benefit of the doubt. I know it says to be wise in your decisions and also that wolves hide in sheeps clothing (that is in Proverbs)
    Anonymous

• no
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 11:37 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I would never pick up a hitchhiker. That is what huge male drivers are for!!! LOL.

No way. I don't think there is anything in the Bible that says, "moms need to give rides to strangers." It is one thing to help people in ways that don't put you in danger.

I don't even think the Bible tells us to trust all people. It tells us that there are wicked and rotten people out there that lay awake at night planning evil deeds. It tells us that we have an enemy, satan that prowls around seeking someone he can devour. We need to be wise as serpents and harmless as doves. I don't trust people I don't know. Sorry. People are crazy.

All I can say is that they will not get a ride in my car, but I will pray that some buff/armed man drives by and happens to give them a ride.

For the record I won't drive with a man other than my husband if it is not in a group, to prevent someone from seeing and questioning the situation, period.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 12:16 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I would never ever ever pick up a hitch hiker, i could be in a car full of weapons no sir sorry god but u might have to forgive me if that is considered a sin!
    waterlily89

Answer by waterlily89 at 12:41 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• On the flip side of this, I walk almost everywhere I go these days. I do not hitchhike, but there have been times people have stopped and offered to give me a ride. Often I take them up on it. Yes, I'm stupid. One very nice lady with christian music on in her car, not only gave me a ride twice a few weeks ago when I was walking five miles to (and five miles from after) to this class thing, she arranged in advance to pick me up the last day of class. Many of those days it was raining. A few more rides would not have hurt my feelings. But, yes, I do understand why most people don't risk it.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 12:56 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• what Cinnamon-mom said :)
    ilovemyboys21

Answer by ilovemyboys21 at 4:10 AM on Oct. 19, 2009