cornstartch?

I am out of baby powder, and my baby has a rash.

If I use ointment, and sprinkle some regular cornstartch on that, would that be ok?
Has anyone used just cornstartch before??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:28 PM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Health

• I used cornstarch on my daughter's severe rashes and it absolutely WORKED MIRACLES! After one application, the rash would be almost completely gone! So when my son began getting diaper rashes, I used it on him and it seemed to either worsen the rash or it would remain the same. I was baffled because it worked so well with my daughter. (Diaper ointments never worked on my daughter) So I then switched to diaper rash ointments/creams & everything I could find in stores to cure my son's rashes, BUT NOTHING WORKED and it seemed to hurt him when applying the ointments/creams! I finally had to take my son to the pediatrician and discovered that it was a yeast infection, that the corn starch made worse (and baking soda would have too). The ped gave me a prescription for "Butt Cream" which the pharmacist made right there in the pharmacy. (Mix of nystatin & other things)
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 1:46 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• yep.

I use cornstarch instead of baby powder.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:30 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• uhhhhh baby powder IS cornstarch lol unless youve been using the talc kind which is really not a good thing. It's kind of pointless to use both though since its meant to absorb moisture and the ointment is meant to moisturize and heal KWIM.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 11:46 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I used cornstarch on my kids when they were in diapers. I still use it for prickly heat. It's much cheaper to just buy a box of plain cornstarch instead of the stuff called baby corn starch. Sometimes, the baby cornstarch has perfume added to it. My son was sensitive to that and we found that he's allergic to perfume. Not a good way to find that out!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 11:52 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• thank you ladies!!

I will go and grab it out of my kitchen :)
    Anonymous

• Try a baking soda bath it works wonders on diaper rash.
    AJSCASJMSmom

Answer by AJSCASJMSmom at 11:55 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Baking soda is good, too

Answer by rkoloms at 7:51 AM on Oct. 19, 2009