How do I ease my 3 year old into sleeping in her bed?

My three year ols refuses to sleep in her room..she says she is scared.So she sleeps on the couch. I have tried everything. I feel like a bad mom, letting her continue to sleep there.

djkita

Asked by djkita at 11:42 PM on Oct. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• Can you lie on her bedroom floor while she sleeps in bed? Maybe you can set up an air mattress in there and sleep in there for a night or two. On the third night, say you have to go potty or do something and leave the bedroom for a period of time. Twenty minutes or so. And return. Gradually make it thirty minutes, an hour, until she is able to fall asleep without you in the room. I am not yet in your situation... but I had horrible fears when I was a small child. I could only sleep with my mom in the room. She didn't encourage me to face my fears and I never overcame them. Gradual encouragement seems like the best bet.
    Anonymous

• Find out what she's scared of, have her actually show you. Get a night light, if she doesn't have one. My daughter tells me there's monsters in her room sometime, and most of the time it's an article of clothing that hasn't been put away, and looks out of place in the dark.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 11:44 PM on Oct. 18, 2009