have you used one of those relationship books?

If you did, which one how did you like it? Did it really help you get your mariage back on track? What did you like and not like about it? I'm looking for personal testimonies. Anything you'd like to share woud be great. I think I'm looking for one that has more exercises and .. ... like questions and things of that nature, not just a wordy long book. Something that you both can do together.

MHaney1980

Asked by MHaney1980 at 11:57 PM on Oct. 18, 2009 in Relationships

• We went to a marriage retreat and got the book - The Five Love Languages and I really liked it. It's really neat and helpful. And it's not a long book. There is a little questionnaire in the back to figure out your own love language (Mine are words of affirmation and quality time and my husbands are physical touch and words of affirmation). Anyway! I liked it. :-D
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 3:27 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Before we got married, we had to take a marriage class called A Couple's Guide to Communication. It was really good in that it helped us learn to communicate and disagree as opposed to "fighting dirty". It was really good. A few yrs into our marriage, we had some stuff come up that caused a lot of marriage problems for us - to the point that we were seriously considering divorce. We were given a copy of these two books by - you can use them together or separately - one's for the woman and one for the man - called For Better or Best, and the other one is If He Only Knew. They're by Gary Smalley.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:36 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• cont

They're kinda harsh, in the sense that the woman's book makes her take "the lions share" of working on saving the marriage, which at first made me mad, then I read the men's book, and saw that while the practical advice on what you can and should be doing was different, and the way it was presented was also different, he was also making the men take the lions share of the responsibility to fix it. So basically, neither party was giving 50% - BOTH parties were giving 75 - 100% towards fixing it.

They are Christian books, but whether you're Christian or not, they offer very practical advice and activities to save your marriage.

I can say in all honesty, they saved ours. That was 15 yrs ago (we were married 2 yrs at the time, we've been married 17 now), and we have a very strong and happy marriage to this day.

gl!

ps - they also aren't very long - just ignore the goofy pictures on the cover :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:41 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• My dh and I read Love & Respect by Eggerichs and it's a really good book. I would highly recommend it.

Answer by missanc at 8:07 AM on Oct. 19, 2009