my 1 yr.old baby is now in hospital coz she fell on the stairsa dn has blacked-eye and a lump on her forehad.my mom was telling me not to worry much but i still want to make sure and plan to take her for ct scan.she did not vomit but will she be ok?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Is she in the ER or admitted to the hospital and staying overnight? That would help.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 12:03 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• If she is in the hospital, I am sure they will handle it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• My son got a shiner from slipping on my linoleum two weeks ago. I put ice on it, watch him and he's fine.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 12:11 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I think you are exposing your baby to unnecessary radiation. Unless she showed signs of a concussion there was no reason to take her in.

Also, keep your house spotless for the next couple months, you'll probably be getting a visit from CPS. Hospitals always report this stuff to them.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:36 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Oh please Ati, I 've taken my kids in for all kinds of injuries and not once has CPS been at my door for a head injury(and we have had many with all the kids). Unless the injury is not consistent with what the parent reports or neglect is suspected they don't just call cps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Stop attacking her she already as enough to deal with I'm sure she will be fine my kids have done that and a lot worse and the worst They ever got was a concussion. I would still have her checked but children are resilient. As for CPS the worst it may do is put you on a watch list if the doctor reports and you would get questioned, unless it happens a lot. Hope she feels better
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:47 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I doubt CPS would be reported unless she has been brought in with numerous injuries that look suspicious and seems neglected in a way or another. Don't worry! If I was in your shoes, I'd probably have brought my son in for an evaluation to be on the safe side. I don't know if a CT scan is necessary, or hospitalization unless the doctors think your child needs it. Most emergency departments will run CT scans. They are trained to recognize when it's a serious head injury or not. We aren't. It's better to be safe than sorry. However, if the child was older and able to tell me how he/she was feeling, etc. I wouldn't be so quick to run to the doctor/hospital.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 7:04 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Don't expose her to the radiation for a CT scan, not to mention being strapped down and put in a tunnel to get the CT scan done. You may not even be allowed in the room while the CT scan is done. If she is not showing any signs of a concussion or other head injury, the hospital won't put her through a CT scan.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:43 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• M SON FELL OFF A VERY HIGH BED ONTO HIS HEAD WHEN HE WAS 2 MONTHS OLD. A SOCIAL WORKER WAS CALLED I WAS MORE OFFENDED THAN WORRIED HOW DARE THEY THINK THIS WAS INTENTIONAL ,I GUESS THEY WERE JUST DOING THERE JOB I SIMPLY TOLD HER I AM A VERY GOOD MOTHER, I LOVE MY SON AND THAT THERE WAS NO WAY IN HELL I WOULD DO ANYTHING TO HARM HIM, THAN BLEW HER OFF AND LET MY FAMILY DEAL WITH IT IN WITCH THEY BACKED ME 100%. SHE WENT AWAY. I ALLOWED DOCTORS TO PERFORM A CT SCAN ,AT A TIME LIKE THIS THE PROS OUT WEIGHED THE CONS TURNS OUT THEY DID FIND SOMETHING IN MY CHILD'S BRAIN. IT WAS A SMALL SPEC THAT THEY COULDN'T DETERMINE IF IT WAS THERE BEFORE THE FALL OR WAS THE CAUSE OF IT. LONG STORY SHORT HE WAS HOSPITALIZED FOR A WEAK IN THAT WEAK THEY MONITORED HIM AND THE BLOOD SPEC REMAINED THERE BUT BUY THE GRACE OF GOD HAD NOT SPREAD OR CHANGED IN ANY WAY HE WAS AND IS FINE NOW. DON'T WORRY UNTILL THERE IS SOMETHING TO WORRY ABOUT.
    yumymommy

Answer by yumymommy at 7:23 PM on Oct. 19, 2009