I have a 5 yr old son who likes to stay with his mamaw and papaw alot. Does this make me a bad mom?

I get critasized alot because I let him stay with them alot! Does this make me a bad mom cuz I do let him stay

cindimoore

Asked by cindimoore at 12:44 AM on Oct. 19, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• NO! Not at all! A strong bond with grandparents is a wonderful gift!

A bad mom is one who beats her children. You are sending your son to a place where he will be SO loved...what in the world could be bad about that?

Answer by gdiamante at 12:51 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I stayed with my mamaw and papaw a lot growing up, and everyone is glad that I did. They cherished the time, my mom and dad worked a lot, and I had someone reliable to watch me and be there for me.

Good for you!

Let that bond grow!
    Tashwitz

Answer by Tashwitz at 3:53 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Oh God no!! My grandparents were the center of our world until the day they passed away. My dd is with her Grandma everyday. Between my work schedule and her activities. But, they both love it. Life is to short to worry what others think! We lost my mom April 2009 and her Papa(her dad's dad) June 2007, both to cancer. She was extremely close with both of them and I am so glad that she has wonderful memories with them.

Enjoy every moment they can be together!!!
    pitbull4me

Answer by pitbull4me at 8:26 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I would consider you a bad mom if you didn't let him see them. My oldest is very attached to his grandparents(my inlaws). But that is because for the first year of his life they watched him while I worked. He loves going to their house now (since I am not working my inlaws take my boys at least once every other week). When they bring him home he starts crying as soon as they turn into the driveway. I am really glad that he has that bond with them. My other son doesn't but I am hoping he gets just as close. He is more of a momma's boy though to begin with.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I stayed with my grandparents and great grandparents a lot when I was young. They would let me do and eat things I couldn't do at home. I was their only granddaughter with like 22 grandsons.

My kids would much rather play and stay at maw maws house then be with me. My mom recently started taking off every Friday to have a "personal" day to herself. After her 2nd personal day she started to get bored since my baby brother just went off to college and she doesn't have anyone home with her. She asked me if she could pick the boys up from daycare on Fridays and take them out. Of course I said yes, but she picks them up at 9am and watches them the whole day. They don't want to leave when it's time to go home and they beg and pester me to go to her house on the weekends. They want to be with maw maw everyday.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 9:28 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Of course not!!!My son did this since he was a baby.He is 12 now.My mil passed in janand my fil in June.Both of this year.He has so many memories.He told me yesterday that he wished we could move into their house b/c of the memories he has of being there.He was very close to them and I am so glad he had the relationships he had with them.
    momofsixangels

Answer by momofsixangels at 9:51 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• no it doesn't. My parents have had my daughter a lot since the a week after she was born. i spent a lot of my time with my grandma when I was a kid and moved in with her at 16,so she could stay home. I look at it this way kids have a limited time with grandparents verses their time with parents. dont worry about what other people think. you raise your kid your way and they can raise theirs.
    lesliesam

Answer by lesliesam at 10:14 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• no, my 4 year old daughter loooves to stay with my mom and my grandma ALOT! sometimes she doesn't even want to come home, but thats because they spoil her. lol i have felt the same way though, i feel like a bad mom sometimes cause she goes to stay the night quite often.
    ToriRonk1981

Answer by ToriRonk1981 at 10:45 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• No!!!! U are not a bad mom for allowing your son stay over at his grandmas and grandpas alot..my dd is with her nana and papa everyday and she loves it..there is no reason for those ppl to critasize you for doing this...like others have said they are growing a bond and that should be encouraged and not looked down upon at all. When i was a baby my mom let my older bro stay with my aunt for a week and one person came up to her and said ur a terrible mom for letting ur son stay with his aunt for a week..like my mom said to this lady how am i a terrible mom if i let my son go and play with his cousin and stay with my sister who loves him to death and is providing a safe and very loving place while i adjust from the birth of my dd? Dont let ppl scare you in to thinking ur not a good mom cuz u are!! Rasie ur baby the way u feel is right and everyhting will be great!!
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 10:50 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I dont think its a bad thing as long as the grandparents are O.K. with it and your not just taking advantage of their kindness.
    We live pretty far away from both sets of grandparents and wish our kids could see them more but my brother in law and his wife live in the same town as my in laws and they have a little 3 year old little girl is ALWAYS over at my in laws house...they watch her during the day while her mom and dad are working but its gotten WAY out of hand with them...they still take her on their days off, she often times stays overnight and all the next day because they dont want to come get her after getting off of work....I know they love the girl and enjoy being able to see her so much but I know for a FACT that my mother in law feels very taken advantage of...my father in law would never say if he were or werent feeling that way, he is TOO nice but seriously, they are raising that girl and I think its a bit much
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 11:15 AM on Oct. 19, 2009