menu ideas

I am tired of getting to the end of the month and having no food left when we have a week of month left to last. It comes from buying lots of expense packaged food. I just became a stay at home Mom so I am going to start actually cooking our meals and planning a menu. Does anybody have any ideas for cheap meals that are simple to cook?

mommyofJames08

Asked by mommyofJames08 at 12:58 AM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I always make for my husband and I chicken dinners such as chicken soup, baked chicken, i always use what ever chicken we don't finish for maybe like chicken tacos, chicken salads, chicken sandwiches. I am not sure if you have a trader joe's near by but they have like organic meals that are pretty inexpensive those are pretty good for those days u don't feel like cooking. Hope it helps!
    nancy1234

Answer by nancy1234 at 1:06 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• http://allrecipes.com/  check this site out, you just type in chicken, beef etc or just watever and they have tons of recipes.

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:08 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Woman's Day magazine includes a monthly menu plan.

Or...chech the grocery circulars each week and make your list based on what's on sale. You can look up the recipes online and then go shopping.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:17 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• A lot of areas have programs in place to help with menus and stretching your food budget, I am not sure where you are at, but here in Colorado we have ShareColorado. They offer food boxes for about half the price you would get at the grocery store, and then help plan a menu around that month's food box. However, crockpot meals are always good, and generally relatively inexpensive. You can do chicken noodle soup, pot roasts, hamsteaks, beef stew, pulled pork, all sorts of things. Check for sales and then buy in bulk if you have freezer space. I am real big on what PP said. I plan my menus based on what is on sale at the local stores. You can find most of the circulars online if you don't get them in the mail.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:32 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• cambells website has lots of easy ,inexpesive recipes. Hillbilly housewife has lots of really cheap recipes.
    Newbegginings04

Answer by Newbegginings04 at 1:51 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I try and made soups, stews, roasts once a month or more if I can swing it..... it can last for daaaaaaays by adding a little something each night (mushrooms, rice, noodles, etc)
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:11 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• This is a wonderful site that will help you find things to make with things you currently have on hand. You just type in what you have in your pantry/freezer/fridge and it gives you recipes that you can make with those ingredients.

www.supercook.com   I love this when I have nothing planned.  I love to keep cream of mushroom/cream of chicken soups around the house . . so much to make with them.  I never actually make a "menu."  It would probably be smart, but I buy the things I like to make on a regular basis and then make them differently a lot.  After you have been cooking for a long time, you will accumulate a lot of the things that you need to cook like spices and different oils and cornstarch and flour.  I LOVE to cook.  Here are my favorite recipe websites:

BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:21 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:22 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• here are my dinners for a few weeks; send me a message offlist for recipes:
    Week of 10/18
    Sunday–black bean soup, quesadillas, avocado salad
    Monday–lentil tacos
    Tuesday–stroganoff
    Wednesday–stirfry
    Thursday–peanut noodles
    Friday–Mediterranean stew
    Saturday–pot pie
    Week of 10/11
    Sunday–chili
    Monday–not crab cakes, tofu fish sticks, baked sweet potato “fries”
    Tuesday–peanut noodles
    Wednesday–tamale bean pie
    Thursday–Mexican lasagna
    Friday–breakfast for dinner – pancakes and fruit
    Saturday–pizza (on the grill, weather permitting
    Week of 10/4
    Sunday–white chili
    Monday–lentil sloppy joes
    Tuesday–curry
    Wednesday–southwest falafel
    Thursday–zucchini and cheese enchiladas
    Friday–mushroom stroganof

Answer by rkoloms at 9:33 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I write a food blog on healthy meals

daniellecooks.wordpress.com

it has budget meals, one pot meals, vegetarian meals, everything!

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 4:07 PM on Oct. 19, 2009