How do people live on their own and support a family when they make next to nothing?

Is it govenment assistance? Family helping out? School grants/loans? What?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Money & Work

• My husband and I make it with my sister as a roommate, my SSI and his school grant money plus cah asi from the county. Our total income is about $1, 400 a month so we do ok.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Extremely, Extremely cheap rent-- or just area in general.
    We make less than $25,000 a year-- pathetic in probably every other city, but ours. We make do, or do without.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I am blessed to have bought my home when the market was good. In fact my morgage payment just recently decreased by a hundred dollars! I try not to spend any more than I have to. I plan my meals and shop only once a week and buy only what is on my list. I hardly buy anything except for the basics: toilet paper,food,soap,ect. My family gives me hand me down clothing for myself . I pay my bills on time every time. I get child support from my husband, and that is basically what I have been living on. I have been looking for a job and no one has hired me. I really would like to find something that I can make money where I can still be available for my children at all times. For instance right now my son has had the flu for a week. Being a single mother I would have had to take off from work for a whole week to care for him. I doubt alot of jobs would allow that.
    Newbegginings04

Answer by Newbegginings04 at 1:37 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• we're married with 2 small kids
    last year we were drowning in money problems, so we made a DRASTIC decision... we moved from the big city to a very small town almost 5 hours away. we got a home over 2000 square feet (compared with 850 in the city) and our rent went from 950 to 500! it's been a tough change for every one but so, so SO worth it.
    my husband works FT and I "make" AKA receive 2000 a month in disability and have for 5 years and will continue to the rest of my life... so we'd do OK short term even if my DH lost his job or wanted to change jobs. during the move he collected unemployment for the 5 weeks til he found an acceptable job here.... somewhat tough since its a very small town/area
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:52 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Frugal living

Answer by rkoloms at 6:38 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Multiple Jobs Sweetie Pie. My daughter raises two children on her own... NO ASSISTANCE AND NO CS. She has a wonderful day job that doesn't pay squat... so she has to pick up weekend work somewhere to make ends meet. You do what you have to.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• My parents did it and still do it. They have never made more than $30k a year. They save their money and pay cash for anything that they need. They paid cash for their house....it's not the best house on the planet, but they worked on it themselves to fix it up and make it better. They paid cash for any cars they have had and they drive them into the ground. They don't have internet, cable, or a home phone, but they do have a cell phone so that I can get in touch with them. They don't go on vacations or eat out. They don't buy fancy new clothes, any new clothes they have they get off of a clearance rack or I buy them for Christmas. They have never accepted public assistance even when they clearly qualified for it when my brother and I were kids. They had the mentality that it's their family, they will provide (I admire them very much). It took me several years to figure out that they had it all right and it IS possible
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:43 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Education is the key. Go to school, get a degree, learn a trade, find employment that pays more than minimum wage. Don't sit on your butt doing nothing to advance yourself and expect the taxpayers to support you. Take care of yourSELF.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:44 AM on Oct. 20, 2009