How long should I let my 3 month old cry ?

when it's 2am and there is nothing wrong with him d he just wont go to sleep ?

amandatyler23

Asked by amandatyler23 at 2:16 AM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 3 months old is too early to let a baby cry it out, or cry alone. So, my opinion, is you shouldn't. He may just need comfort from you, and yes, that is a real need to a newborn. Good luck... I know those nights are tough.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:20 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I often tried a bath when my baby was horrible. A quick warm dip, fresh diaper, clean jammies and try again.

also helps with gas, if that could be the culprit, boredom, and soothing. and of course, naked baby = makes sure nothing is wrong IE rash, hair wrapped around toe, etc

I think 3mos is acceptable to cry it out.... at least in my house it is :)
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:22 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I definitely don't think a 3 month old should be left to cry it out! Just try holding him and rocking, bouncing, or walking with him. DD loved when I'd hold her and bounce on an ab ball. I think she slept on my chest or in my arms in a recliner till 2 or 3 months old. Then we moved to sleeping in the bed and at 12 months we moved her to her crib in her own room with no problems. He might just need some closeness.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 3:26 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• 3 Month olds shouldn't cry it out. Don't let him!! I know it's hard and frustrating for you but crying is the only way a 3 month old can communicate =(
    Tashwitz

Answer by Tashwitz at 3:47 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Is she just fussing or crying? If it's just fussing and complaining, I would see if she will settle within five minutes. If she's crying... three months old is much too little to be allowed to cry it out. I would allow her to cry if you need a shower, eat, or use the restroom. Five minutes won't kill her. I know sleep sounds really good... you'll get sleep again one day. I promise!
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 7:14 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• CIO advocates even say NO to CIO at 3 months.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:23 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

I agree!
    mychinababy

Answer by mychinababy at 9:57 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• cio at 3 mts is way to early.your baby needs mommy .cio should be started till 4 mts or never is better
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:07 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• CIO advocates say not to do it before six months.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:27 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• i asked the same question not too long ago and some of the answers i recieved made me feel horrible for letting my baby cry, but i did get some support which is what i know is what you're looking for when you're dragging after those sleepless nights.

you're mom and you're the one who knows your baby best. you know when he is just fussing because he's bored or just fighting sleep, and when he needs something (i.e. hungry, new diaper, etc)... in my opinion go with your instincts. every baby is different in their communication with mom, and you'll know when he really needs you.

good luck and try to rest up, you're doing a great job
    1st_time_mom23

Answer by 1st_time_mom23 at 3:48 PM on Oct. 19, 2009