FLEAS! In MY bed! please help!

So its 2:30AM here and I woke up because I had this terrible terrible itching. Apparently my dog has fleas? Because I found 2 in my bed! Yes I am positive they are fleas, they are not bed bugs, they are fleas. My left arm is completely covered in puffy bite marks and it hurts! I need to know how to get rid of them QUICK! 1 because I need some sleep! But mostly because I do NOT want these things to get to my kids rooms! The dog doesn't go in the kids rooms, only in mine and in the family room & kitchen. HELP what the heck do I do???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:27 AM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Pets

• In the middle of the night not a heck of a lot except put calamine or dryl on your arm or cortaid for itching. If you don't even have that until you can get it put either kitchen corn starch lightly on your arm or powder, or a very very light extremely thin coating of vaseline - any of that helps take away the itch for a while. Lightly squirting water on it periodically does too.

I get hives from fleas. Your animal needs the should blade flea med. Plus get some hartz flea collars and put one in your vacuum and vacuum all over and replace in about a month or earlier if needed. Get going on that as soon as you can tomorrow morning.

Feel better!!!

lfl

Answer by lfl at 2:34 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• They can hop from person to things so treat kids rooms and whole house like fleas are all over. Wash things in super hot water. They don't die out, at least outside, until first frost comes and stays put. it's a pain isn't it?!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 2:37 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• If they are in your bed or on you the infestation is bad because fleas prefer the animals over people because of the higher temp. There really is not much you can do over night unless you have frontline,revolution or advantage on hand if so i would put it on your pets asap. Then at least it would get started killing the fleas. In the morning i would wash all bedding including the dogs. If you don't have any flea meds i would call the vet immediately and pick some up. Don't waste your money on the cheap crap from the petstore. Make sure you use the flea product for at least 4 months straight otherwise you will not get all of the fleas.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 5:14 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• yeah, vacuum real good in addition to all the other things sugessted here, but remember to take the paper bag out of the vacuum and throw it away OUTSIDE, otherwise the fleas will just crawl out of it and be all over again. When you put flea collars on the dogs, get an extra one and cut it into enough pieces to have one section for each bed. Put the piece somewhere like between the mattress and box spring, somewhere the kids can't get it, but it will repel the bugs from being in the beds.

pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 8:17 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Treat your dog with frontline. Do not get the cheap stuff. Topical flea treatments like Frontline not only kill the fleas on the dogs but also when they roll on the carpet and furniture. Use a flea comb to pick them off your dogs too. Spray your bed & carpet & all furniture with flea spray. Vacuum. Get an allergen mattress cover that totally encases the mattress.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 12:57 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• if you use lavender fabric softner and frebreeze it helps, bugs HATE lavender! i use to to clean carpets, sheets dog bedding and everything once a week, and have it planted around my yard, and NO BUGS! try it along with the flea treatments for your dog and home. best of luck!
    Froggy_girl1790

Answer by Froggy_girl1790 at 2:45 PM on Oct. 19, 2009