What questions do I need to ask my sons father to help us get on the same page?

My sons father is a selfish person; he only thinks of himself and doesn't think for our sons purpose. When I try and talk to him hes very immature and tries to belittle me and control the situation which he himself causes drama when there is no need for it. So I every time theres a disagreement I apologize just to be the bigger person; but then he never apologizes for being the jerk..bc he always thinks hes right and that the type of person he is. I am about wits end to hand him the pen and paper to have him sign his rights away (just venting I wont) but thats the way I feel. Please help.
I.E; My son only sees his father every other weekend so he's the fun dad and I'm the disciplinary.
~The more I apologize the more it makes me look like I was the one who did something bad when its just to keep the peace.

mommyof1stepof2

Asked by mommyof1stepof2 at 2:42 AM on Oct. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• Stop apologizing! When you have to talk, which really should only have to be for pick up and drop off! Keep the talk to the bare minimum! As a stepmother, we have this issue, as their mom is very lax in disapline, especially with the younger one (her "baby"), which is the one who really needs it. We are much more structured and use more disapline. The funny thing is it's almost like they crave that. They may not like it at the time, but the girls do alot better around us, because of the structure and limits then they do their moms. My suggestion is that if there's a recurring problem with a behavior, just make a nonchalant comment about , "Well, LO has been biting, and I've been doing this to stop it and it seems to help", and just hope he picks up on it! We had my stepdaughter weened off her sippy to bed a year before her mom did, and wasn't even hard! But her mom refused to follow the lead!
    xraydri

Answer by xraydri at 5:08 AM on Oct. 19, 2009