Are there any other Christian mother's out there who don't celebrate holloween?

I never went trick or treating as a child, my cousins my brother and I would pass out tracts with candy on them, We had alot of fun doing that as children. When I became a teenager I snuck out and went every year eventually I didn't have to sneak because my father showed me the history of holloween and trick or treating and what the Bible said about taking part in such things... needless to say Iwas hard headed and did it anyway... so I have been taking my son(5) every year until God gave me convictions about it this year...My question is what do you do with your children during holloween?

ilovemyboys21

Asked by ilovemyboys21 at 3:33 AM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• oops I forget to add that my father let me make my own choice on weather to trick or treat after he showed me the information on it all
    ilovemyboys21

Answer by ilovemyboys21 at 3:36 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Why don't you show your son the same ideals that your father installed in you. LET him make the choice.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:35 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I let my kids participate in Halloween, I always did. My parents have nothing against the day at all. I always had a blast. Seriously though the day bothers me. I dont like people dressing as devils and other things like that. (never did like that) I know its suppossed to be all in fun but it really does bother me and I cant completely put my finger on it. I feel uneasy about it. It has never bothered me before. I dont like anything about it. My husband has no problem with it. The thought of it literally makes me feel so uneasy and ill. I dont know why my opinon would change so much but I have been praying more and reading the bible alot this year. So maybe that has something to do with it. I dont have many ideas about what you can do instead, but maybe things like movie night and make thekids a treat that they dont get often to make it special.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:28 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Some go to the local church harvest festival.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 5:33 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I have explained why we don't do it anymore so that a 5 yr old can understand and he has no problem with it. He is only 5 and what child at his age would be able to truly understand all of that stuff entirely, that would be like me saying let your 5 yo child know why they shouldn't drive your car even tho it would be fun, and telling you to let him make that choice,So should 5 yos be able to do whatever they want no matter what the consequences are even death.When he is old enough I will do the exact same thing my father did. The Bible says this about leading children astray
    Matthew 18:6 (King James Version) 6But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.
    ilovemyboys21

Answer by ilovemyboys21 at 5:36 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• thanks to the ladies who actually answered my question :)
    ilovemyboys21

Answer by ilovemyboys21 at 5:39 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• My family does not participate. Our church has a Harvest Fest on that night where the children can go and have fun where the theme is Christ-centered. Even young children can understand and they don't feel in any way deprived.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:16 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Stay home & avoid it. If you don't believe in it your child doesn't have to do anything.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:32 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• My son is one so I haven't really had to make a serious choice yet. I do not agree with the devil and demonic costumes, but I don't see anything wrong with dressing up as a pretend character and going to a fall festival. On the other hand, for the first time I live in a neighborhood and I always loved trickortreating so much as a child.....I love to see the little kids coming to the door dressed as disney characters, etc. You could turn it into an opportunity to witness by handing out candy with scriptures from the local Christian store. You won't be able to avoid the scary characters coming to the door.....Hmmm...this is good food for thought. I will take DS to a few houses this year just because I think he will get a kick out of it, but I am definitely avoiding the house around the corner that looks as if it belongs to satan, I don't agree with that at all....
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 10:18 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• "You could turn it into an opportunity to witness by handing out candy with scriptures from the local Christian store." First off -- please don't do this. You wouldn't want religious propaganda handed to you while you're ... I dunno... Christmas Caroling or something. You're going to make quite a few enemies with this. I know that if someone handed that to my children, I'd have words with them right then & there... and it wouldn't be pretty.

Now - on to your question - what about the Fall Festivals all the churches put on? If not, then maybe just do something else entirely? Ya know, just so he's not reminded of what he's missing out on every 2 seconds when the doorbell rings: go to a movie, play puttputt, go out to dinner, etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Oct. 19, 2009