Not Tithing = Bad luck?

First, I love God and feel that I am always working towards an even better relationship with Him. It's not perfect, but thank God it's not as bad as it used to be.

My family has been having financial difficulties lately. To look at this logically, it is because I have been working part time since the birth of my daughter 18 months ago.

To look at it spiritually, we have not been tithing the way we should and we've tried to attend church on a regular basis, but something silly always gets our attention and we don't go.

I keep feeling like we are having so much bad luck financially because we are not tithing...every dime we get has a name on it (ie. rent, food for baby & us, transportation, etc)

If you believe that not tithing is our problem, please give me advice on what we can do to make it a priority and how?

We thank God for your help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:46 AM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• No it doesn't equal that. God is not asking for that money, the church is. You give what you can just like we do.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:55 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• with that thought in mind^, tithing isn't always about money. you say you have let things stand in the way of attending worship as a family...hmm..why? you might need to rethink those things a bit, and haul yourself to church services, where you can serve and be served as well. they don't have cover charges at church...they just want to see 'your spot' covered. i promise you, at this stage of the economic game, you are not alone in wishing you could give more financially. the thing is, you can give more. you can give more of yourself to the church helping someone else out, perhaps. there's always a need in the church-usually, there's someone worse off than yourself. go. give. get'er done.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:11 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I don't know whether not tithing is the reason for all your problems. I do know what the Bible says about the matter of tithing. That's found in Malachi 3:10. There God promises that if we tithe, He will open the windows of Heaven to bless us. A verse or two before that equates not tithing with robbing God. When our children were young and we were struggling financially, we tithed. Not once did we not have enough to have a place to live, food to eat, nor clothing to wear. These are the things that God has promised to provide for His children. I think that includes the utilities on our homes, too. Most of us have a lot of things that we don't really need but simply want. We had to do without some of those things for a good long while, but I saw God prove Himself faithful to His Word in the area of finances, and He will do no less for you. It is for sure an exercise in trusting Him, because the numbers said impossible
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:12 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I want to add, that GOD is everywhere. You don't NEED to go to church to pray, serve, confess, be a good Christian or whatever you are, or to be forgiven.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:14 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• no, it doesn't equal that either i agree. however, how do you expect blessings to come your way if you don't do your part. in order to receive you have to be open to give. like a river rather than a pond. what you give comes back to you mulitplied, if you want blessings and financial reward you must first give without the sole intent being to get. even though you know it will happen, maybe not so as you wish.
    i don't feel that the amount or the actual definition of tithing is what is important, but rather the act of giving and the reasons you have behind it and the willingness to give all that you can. say you're broke but make a grand a week. you can't give a hundred dollars, but you can give what you had left sunday morning, and you can give of your time, love and effort.
    there is no such thing as luck in my book, you are either protected by God's umbrella of blessings or not.
    you can't receive until you give.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:15 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• and as far as something silly keeping you from church, imo, it's not something silly. it's the devil. the devil works to destroy all that he can first by destroying the little things. something silly like preventing one family from going to church one sunday a month, then two sundays, then they stop all together. you need to make a decision today and state boldly that you will not let the devil continue to disrupt your sunday churchgoing. christian families fight more on sunday mornings than any other day or time of the week. you think that's a coincidence? i think not.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:19 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• All money given to us is from God because He is the one who allows us to have it! So everything we have belongs to Him. This is why tithing is so important, it is out of obedience that we tithe, giving God 10% first, anything after that is considered an offering! I can say TITHING IS HARD! Believe me when I say I understand where you are. My husband and I filed for bankruptcy this year! But you should want to tithe...it should not be a chore! I know what it is like for every penny to have a name. But try looking really hard at your finances. Are there things you could cut out of your budget? Could you cut coupons and budget your grocery shopping better? Could you put in a few extra hours? God will honor your obedience, however if you do not tithe I do not believe that means you will have bad luck...you are just out of the will of God! I pray and hope you find a church you LOVE and cannot wait to be there on Sunday ...(CONT)
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 8:29 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• and that God will show you ways to be able to give whole hearted and not feel strained. I pray you find joy in giving and peace in your finances. I pray God blesses your heart. Good luck!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 8:32 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• When you get paid the first check written should be the tithe check then the bills and be a cheerful giver (2 Corinthians 9:7). Also tithing does not have to be to a church but it can also be to charity or volunteering at shelters or missions. God knows your heart.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 8:35 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Bad luck? No. Bad idea? Yes. I believe in faithfully tithing 10% like instructed in the bible. I don't believe this is church asking for money. The bible clearly states that everything we have belongs to God and that 10% should come off of the top as His first fruits. I believe if you faitfully tithe He will remain true to his word and financially bless you. I have tithed faithfully since my husband passed last year and everytime I turned around I was getting a check from somewhere to cover my necessary debts. It doesn't mean He will give you money to buy everything you want, but He will give you what you need. If you feel as if you can't do the 10%, do something. Maybe sacrifice getting a soda or coffee everyday and tithe that amount and the volunteer or donate some toys or clothes. I haven't been able to convince my fiance to tithe yet, but I do believe his financial problems will end if he does. God knows your heart.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 8:59 AM on Oct. 19, 2009