What could he be allergic to?

I am baffled. The other day, my 16-month old son was eating chicken nuggets. He loves dipping his chicken nuggets in ranch. His face turned scarlet-red around the mouth and the redness spread across his cheeks and chin. No bumps or anything. I assumed it was a mild allergic reaction and gave benadryl and made sure the ranch was washed off his hands and face. Yesterday, he ate some of my smart ones boxed tuna casserole for dinner... same reaction, no ranch in it. His hands don't turn red. I'm trying to figure out what could be the allergent. Any ideas?

ShadesofGrey

Asked by ShadesofGrey at 7:32 AM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Maybe the bread or noodles in both. Then nugget were breaded right, and you put noddle in the casserole.
    You should just bring him to the doctor. Talk to the doctor about it.

Answer by louise2 at 7:41 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I would call your child's doctor & let him know what happened. He may reccomend that you do an elmination diet to try to find the culprit food or he may refer you to an allergist for further testing. One thing I would also suggest that you do before calling the doctor is to check the ingredients lists on both products & try to find the common ingredients, then take that list and compare it to the ingredients of other foods your son regularly eats w/o reacting and see if any of the suspect ingredients are listed. Any listed on foods your son is okay with can be taken off the suspect list & you should be left with a list of things to mention to the doctor as possibilities & to watch for in the future.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:07 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• It could be so many things: eggs, wheat, MSG. You are giving your child a lot of sodium; contact me offlist for healthier meal ideas.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:40 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• It could be anything. Call the doctor and have him tested by an allergist to see what he is allergic to so you can avoid those foods.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:40 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I agree, I would make an appointment with an allergist. Look for one with experience in both pediatric care AND food allergies.

Do you have the packaging for both meals? Scan the labels and see if there is any overlap in ingredients. The *top 8* allergens must be clearly listed by law - that would peanut, tree nut, wheat, egg, milk, soy, shellfish and fish. I would think both ranch and a casserole could have soy or milk in it. Either might have egg. It could the wheat between the breaded nugget and the pasta in the casserole. See if you can find a common element in the two.

ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:06 AM on Oct. 20, 2009