To save money, how many people store hop?

I heard that this is the best way to save money by going to two or three stores and splitting your grocery list by buying the best values at all 3. Use coupons but sometimes you end up buying more so you end up not saving much at all!!! I have a family of 2(me and son), so bills shouldn't be so high. The catch is he is a very picky eater and I make the same things over and over and over again.

litninbug

Asked by litninbug at 8:23 AM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Food & Drink

• When we lived in the States, I did that. There were a couple of stores I went to for things like meat and produce, because I had the frequent shopper / customer cards for them and could get good deals for really good quality. I went to the commissary for canned goods and other staples, and household supplies like paper products and etc.

We live overseas now and I do most of my shopping at the commissary (the price for beef, chicken, pork, and dairy are sky high here "out in town").

As for coupons, I use them and save a lot of $. The thing is, depending on what the product is, you can save money buying the "extra" that you wouldn't buy right now. Like, for instance, if you like peanut butter. You might not need 2 jars right now, but it's going to be twice as long before you have to buy it again. Milk or something else with a fast expiration date, is different.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:18 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I waste more in gas than I save by store hopping. I have a picky eater but she is learning that if she doesn't like what I fix that she will only get fruits/veggies for a snack and must wait until the next meal to eat again.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:25 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I go to 3 different stores in 3 different cities. It pays off in the end because of the low prices on different things at each place.
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 8:27 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I go to Wal-mart and add match I save more than my dad who does what your talking about plus coupons. approximately 200-300 a month.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 8:45 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• We go to Costco about every 6 weeks. We go to Trader Joes about twice a month; Whole Foods once a month; produce market usually twice a week.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:25 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I don't do much store hopping b/c I don't buy many pre-processed foods, therefore don't have the opportunity to use coupons which might save me a few extra bucks. Unfortunately, they don't hand out coupons for fresh fruits & veggies, so, instead, I pretty much stick to one local grocery store that has the highest quality fresh foods at the best prices. Some of the other stores may have their fresh foods on sale at a better price, but I've found that the quality isn't so good at those stores, and if the quality is poor, then nobody is going to eat it & it would be a waste of money to buy it - better to spend the little extra & get stuff we'll eat.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:43 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I have three stores within a mile of each other : Safeway, SuperTarget and Walgreens... I buy meat and procuce at Safeway, dry goods at SuperTarget and Paper products/cleaning supplies at Walgreens. I feel like I save a bunch of money this way. I shop on different days at different stores so its just part of my routine. I buy what is on sale at those stores.
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 9:52 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I store hop every week. We have stores that are literally across the street from one another so it is very easy and economical.

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 9:57 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I do my grocery shopping at Aldi, Lowes Foods and Walmart....depending on what is on sale at Lowe's and what coupons I have. I can stock up there sometimes. They often have Buy 2 get 3 Free on things that I use a lot of so I save money with that. I buy all of my meat at BJs. I try not to shop too much at Walmart because I end up getting a bunch of things I really don't need and then I'm not saving any money!!
    lissa27504

Answer by lissa27504 at 10:17 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I store hop! We have Bi-Lo and Publix. They are about 8 miles from us, but are within a mile of each other. For our family of 6 (4 adults 2 kids, with 2 adults and both kids here EVERY DAY) we spend on average of $120 a week, and that includes about $30 of the budget going to the local farmers market and letting the kids pick out fruit, and all of our veggies.
    Valerieeee

Answer by Valerieeee at 10:35 AM on Oct. 19, 2009