I posted a question about stage 3 foods, i have more questions.

My son is 9 1/2 months and i absolutely know he should be eating some table foods however he just gags and refuses to eat anything, thats why i was gonna try stage 3 cause there is some chunks in. I thought it would get him used to a different texture. He eats the gerber puffs which melt in his mouth so i think he things all food should ( which is why he gags, swallows things before gumming them.) He started eating scrambled eggs so my question is what else is easy to eat that will teach him to gum things. Also can i give him real oatmeal with flavors rather than the baby stuff. Please don't bash me cause my son isn't as far along as your child might have been. He is my first and i just need some suggestions please.

kelka24

Asked by kelka24 at 8:28 AM on Oct. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• Going to stage 3 foods will only make him gag more...he may just not be ready for any solids yet, and that's fine. As for oatmeal, you can mix a little jelly in or use a fruit juice instead of going to adult oatmeal. Try giving him some biter biscuits to gnaw on.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:31 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• You can try things like sweet potatoes, white potatoes, peas etc. that are easy to mash. Also, steam veggies (ie carrots) really soft and then you can mash them with the back of a fork and mix in some water if he needs them thinner. You can give him regular oatmeal, but watch the flavors and make sure they don't add sugar - and regular oatmeal doesn't have the added iron that baby oatmeal does (most peds routinely do an iron check at 9-10 months, not sure if your son needs the iron). My son is 11 months and for breakfast he still eats baby oatmeal (for the iron) with some flavored applesauce. That's another "table food" you could try - regular Mott's applesauce, not the strained baby apples. Either Mott's or White House makes a "Healthy Harvest" line that has flavors without added sugar. And I'm not sure if you've tried yogurt or not, but that's a good food for babies too. Good luck!

Answer by missanc at 8:35 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• To introduce table foods you can take normal foods like sweet potatoes mashed, bread, soft fruits, avacoda diced. Try parents. com for more ideas I'm introducing mine at 6 mths because he hates baby food and can't stand me feeding him. GOOD LUCK I hope this helps.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 8:43 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• My oldest was a 'gagger' too, he would choke and throw up - even on the stage 3 foods. My 2nd nothing stopped him, he was an 'eating machine' my 3rd will eat, but is like a squirrel storing food for the winter - he will chew but not swallow and then either start to choke or spit it out.
    I have found that yoghurt and applesauce worked out great! They loved the flavors and taste and ate it. Have you tried mashing up bananas, carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes?
    Good luck!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:50 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Hi, I answered your first question, no bashing--get a mini food chopper and puree on the pulse setting what you are eating, if he chokes pulse it some more good things to try
    beef stew
    chicken and noodles
    pasta of any kind pulses well and is soft
    apple pie
    I gave you things that taste really yummy because he might focus on the taste rather than the texture, he may need to wait another month, some kiddos gag reflex takes longer to control--good luck mom!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:03 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• My oldest daughter was the same way and couldn't eat stage 3 foods. They just made her gag like table foods because she didn't "chew". She was almost 18 months before she could eat chunkier foods and we had to watch her like a hawk. She couldn't even handle cheerios and most of what she ate before then was soft and mushy (like potatoes and stuff). It was so annoying and so different from my other kids who were eating table foods (including meats and chunkier stuff by 9 months).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:39 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Hold off on egg whites; they are an allergy trigger food that should not be given before baby turns one.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:08 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I take meds that make it hard for me to swallow. It is harder to swallow things you are trying to eat by spoon. The wetter they are, the harder it is. Soup is impossible. It almost seems like it is because there is nothing for the back of the mouth to grab on to with friction, it's hard to describe. Scrambled eggs can be hard to swallow.

Rather than making his food real small and spoon feeding, he may do better with it mashed some and finger feeding himself. You should give him drinks of water while he is eating.

There is good info about starting solids at www.kellymom.com
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:45 AM on Oct. 19, 2009