How long before you call the doc?

DD has had a runny nose for about 2.5 weeks. No fever, loss of appetite, or lethargy. Just a blasted runny nose and a cough at night from it draining...It's clear, not green or other colors, so what would they actually do? I know she gets tired of it...I would but still can they do anything with it when there are no other issues?

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 9:13 AM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds a lot like allergies to me. I would take her in so the Dr can tell you what her appropriate dose of Claritin or Zyrtec is. Give her that for a week or two and see if you don't see a huge decrease in symptoms. The fall is a particularly nasty time for allergies. At least for Me and my family.

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:30 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• My son did the same thing... when he was two yrs. old. I think it has to due to teething. If you would like call the Dr. and she what they think, go for it. She should be okay and at night roll her on her stomach if she will stay that way. LOL... Just call the Dr. to see if they can give her something without the visit, with other childern being sick this time of the year. My son did do the same thing every time he was teething. I wish her luck... I know it really worries you.
    goldielock37

Answer by goldielock37 at 9:33 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Call the doctor and speak to a nurse, ask what the appropriate dosage of allergy medicine would be for your child's weight and which allergy medicine they recommend (Benadryl and Zyrtec seem to be the most common), and ask how long you should give the medicine to start working before you make an appointment. Calling doesn't cost anything, and they'll be happy to answer your questions and tell you whether you have anything to worry about or any reason to make an appointment.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:56 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• my son gets that to... lovely allergies! try running a humidifier at night for her.. my boy wakes up happier and w less troubles the next day
    Ambreelulu

Answer by Ambreelulu at 12:24 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I know my daughter atleast it happens to her when she is teething, she gets a runny nose. Normally ped offices have an advice nurse, Try calling that and see what they say and they will tel you if you need to make an apointment or not.
    emmaleib

Answer by emmaleib at 1:31 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• A cold can take anywhere from 7 to 21 days to run its' course so even if you've not noticed fever or any other cold like symptoms, it could be that (color of mucous not always an indicator).

Allergies is certainly a possibility. Talk to your pediatrician about giving her something for allergies to see if that helps.

In the mean time, saline nose drops might help and are harmless.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:04 PM on Oct. 19, 2009