Why do vegetables sell on the supermarket look "perfect"?

I went to the farmers market and some of the products look "weird". The tomatoes were discolored and they look "deformed" for not finding a better word.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I just read that a lot of times when we import bananas, they actually pick them when they are unripe then expose them to ethylene gas (which bananas naturally produce) to ripen them quicker.

This is true. My husband works in Food Distribution and they have giant banana gassing rooms. They gas the bananas. The organic rooms are much different and the shelf life is not as long. Since he started working in food we have bought only organic produce.lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• The supermarket wants the best looking produce to appeal to the customer, and they pay the farmer extra so he'll pick and choose the best ones to send to them. Then the extra cost is passed on to you.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 9:32 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• interesting, I've never had that experience. Obviously the stores put out the best looking stuff though I have seen plenty of sub par fruits and veggies at grocery stores but would think it's because the markets sell everything that is edible. Just because it isn't perfectly orange or perfectly round doesn't mean its not just as good to eat as any so called perfect veggie,
    Groceries sometimes even wax their fruits so they look better. It
    s just not something markets want to spend extra money doing.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:40 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• The products at the farmers market are less likely to be injected with who knows what. Some of the ugliest produce tastes the best though!
    hannah_belle

Answer by hannah_belle at 9:40 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• The other ladies got it

I prefer getting it right from the garden myself even those with imperfections..alot of times the produce in the grocery stores have been frozen and thawed...which lessons the taste..take a tomato from a garden fresh bite into it and then try one from the grocery store big difference..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:43 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I just read that a lot of times when we import bananas, they actually pick them when they are unripe then expose them to ethylene gas (which bananas naturally produce) to ripen them quicker. They also was produce such as apples and cucumbers to make them look better. I much prefer the uglier produce from a farmer's market to anything bought in a supermarket, especially if it's had to travel a long way to get to that market because that means more chance of chemicals and such being used to preserve the life of that produce.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:17 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Local farmers also grow different species of veggies. I have seen black tomatos, and other unsual colors. Home grown food may look strange but is healther.
    mom2boys1997

Answer by mom2boys1997 at 11:32 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I agree with the other responses = )

It will still taste super yummy. = D
    sweetheart1985

Answer by sweetheart1985 at 12:08 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• They may look different, but I venture to guess in many cases they taste BETTER.... I prefer the farmers market over the grocery.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:19 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• there are fruits and veggies that are kept cold until they are ready for the shelf. Bananas are one of them. They grade them according to color and a good grocery store should have 3 grades (or at least 2). Tomatos are the same. They ripen up if you put them in paper bags.
    Anonymous