What to say when I must write down everything

I've been having a problem with my short term memory for the last few years. I'm finding that I must write down everything or I will forget. When someone is talking to me, I tell them, "Wait a minute, I need to get this down on paper". Manytimes I get responses like, "It's easy. You'll remember." or "It's not that hard to remember this". My reply is, "I'm sorry. But, I have the short term memory capacity of a gold fish. I must write it down". I even had people ask me, "What's your problem that you can't remember?"

If I don't write down the factoid, my failure of short term memory many times interrupts the flow of my productivity.

How do I respond to those who spurt out hurried words not understanding my attempt to keep my P's and Q's in check?

Thanks in advance

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Health

• Have you tried repeating what they say? That sometimes helps. And be unafraid to just ask them to slow down, that you're having trouble following.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:58 PM on Oct. 20, 2009