how would you handle a situation where your kids were shouted at by another parent,

this persons daughter was causing trouble by goading my kids, so my youngest boy called her a name, she obviously told her mum[probably not the whole story] then this women was screaming abuse at my kids, situation explained to head teacher at school by letter, but they cant interfere, obviously her kid and mine attend same school, this happened on way home from school.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Oct. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would confront the mom...If she thinks that she can talk to my kid like that she has another thing coming...She should talk to the adult not to the child...she showed her character with this one...
    And why can't the teacher get involved? It was verbal abuse on your kids.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:47 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I DONT KNOW WHY SCHOOL WONT GET INVOLVED, THE LETTER I GOT FROM HEAD, SAYS I AM NOT IN A POSITION TO CONTACT THIS GIRLS MOTHER DIRECTLY ABOUT AN INCIDENT OF THIS TYPE I WOULD SUGGEST YOUR CHILDREN DO THEIR BEST TO AVOID SITUATIONS THAT WILL CAUSE TROUBLE
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• If you weren't there then you shouldn't say anything to the mom. You are getting the story second hand from your kids. Talk to them about how adults should act.

If you are going to send your kids alone out in the "big bad world" things like adults yelling at them are going to happen to them. It doesn't help them for their mommy to go yelling at every adult they tattle on.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:27 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• if they were on the way home then it must have happened off school property. The school cannot then get involved.
    As for screaming at your child call the police and see about a restraining order on the mother.
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 11:08 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• gailll, it's inappropriate for adults to scream at children, and I want my children to come to me if there is anything going on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• If you weren't there then you really don't know what happened. There's a good chance that your kids over telling the story to gain sympathy from you.

I would suggest talking to the other parent involved without the kids there. Then you'll know what kind of person she is so you could figure it out from there.

Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 1:21 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Well I would ask my kids what happened, and then if I knew any 'witnesses' I would ask them what happened before I confront the other mom. I would make it a point to talk to her, and ask her point blank if she yelled/screamed at my kid. If she admits it, I would tell her flat out that I do not appreciate her screaming at my kids and it had better not happen again. I would also talk to my child and tell him/her to stay away from the other kid.
    Anonymous

• I would talk to my child and educate him that most adults are appropriate and are interested in a safe environment. Adults sometimes get upset when they see or think they see an usage situation. I would continue with not all adults use good skills in correcting situations that come up. I will stress the need to keep me updated but I would handle each incident as it occurs. Some incidents may require my attention and others may not. There is also a lesson in here about teaching our kids to just let it go. If by this parent yelling caused no long term harm then teach of letting it go and moving on. What a wonderful gift to give. If there was harm done or if you suspect a possible ongoing issue with this parent then you may want to gracefully and tactfully tell the parent to call/contact you when other incidents occur.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:06 AM on Oct. 20, 2009