Do you go out and party?

Do you think it means your less of a parent if you go out on weekends when the kids are with the other parent or taken care of by grandparents and get plastered and party with your friends? Is it wrong? What are your thoughts on this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Oct. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• I do once a month...just because you are a parent does not mean that you aren't allowed to have a good time. You were responsible by having another person watch your child.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:44 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I think parents need a little 'adult time'. This doesn't necessarily mean going out and getting trashed, but it's healthy to have a short time away from your kids. When we need to get out, my sister babysits. We might go out for a drink or 2 (doubtful) or we might go to a class together or maybe a movie or dinner. It's rare, but it's nice.
    To get to the real question- I think, as long as you are safe, and your kids are safe, and you keep your priorities straight, then going out and getting drunk is ok. Don't do it all the time (again, priorities) and don't drive. But have fun!
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 9:46 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I think every parent should have a time out from being a mom and or wife at times. That doesn't happen here much.... Like every three months or so. LOL...I think every week is way too much ... How ever I do party at home and I invite fun people over to grill and drink. I don't really care for bars. We also party at afew friends houses to let my son run in the country. LOL.. Our son is with us all the time and we find kid friendly couples to party with. My husband drives when we party away from home., he is a light drinker. I do think it's wrong to party every single weekend. I do find it is nice to just have friends over to party. You don't need a baby sitter at your own home to have a great time. If your friends are not up to a cookout than party without them. Partying in bars will wreck your marriage at some point in time. Every blue moon should be okay to let your hair down. Your baby needs you and your husband. Drive safe!
    goldielock37

Answer by goldielock37 at 9:54 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I've never done it. I don't think getting drunk is fun. I can't stand cigarette smoke. At least in most places now most indoor areas are non-smoking.

I don't think it is good for a parent to make themselves unavailable for their child. What if something happened while you were drunk. One parent could stay sober I guess. I don't think most people would that would be fun. I was a single parent so that wasn't an option.

It's a waste of money.

I think it's ok for parents to go out on date as long as the children are old enough to be ok while the parents are gone. I watch my grandson while his parents go out once a month.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:57 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• getting 'plastered' is definitely not a good example of respecting alcohol and its effects. i feel you should teach your children proper use of alcohol, in relation to how much is too much and why you do it. once they are old enough to realize that mom/dad go get plastered on the weekends, they will assume that its an ok habit. its not.
    going out for a drink or two with your friends, or at a dinner party, or whatever is not getting 'plastered'. if a drink or two isn't enough for you to 'let off steam'..you could be alcoholic. and that certainly isn't good for you or your kids. they learn their behavior from you. just think about your choices and how they will affect your children.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:59 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• No it;s not wrong just don't drink & drive. Also don't get pregnant again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• with my bf working almst all day 12+ shft almst and then taking care of 3kids at home, i dont drive so i dont really get out of the house as much i wish too. my life is base on my kids mainly. its never really about me during daylight lol i gtta even wait for them to go bed to be able to take my shower lol
    So whenver we get the chance to get out we have a trustful babysitter or somtmes i go out wit my friends while my bf stays home resting wit the kids. since thats my "ME" time i take it. if we go out to drink we make sure we come home on time enough to sleep & wake up next morning back to our reality life's
    we go out to dinner or friends houses or bars - i dont drink to get trash - i just mainly like gng out to dance :)
    20_mama_3

Answer by 20_mama_3 at 10:13 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• My hubby and I try to have date night every once and a while; actually it's suppose to be 1 a month but we've been so busy lately and all the free time we have we make sure to pack it full of things the entire family can enjoy.

I also have a girls night every now and again. A few weeks ago I went out with two of my girlfriends to see a movie and grab dinner afterward. However, I've never been much of a heavy partier. I can only think of one or two nights were I've actually had more than a glass of wine or beer while out with hubby or friends. My BFF is our baby sitter most times so I don't want to weigh her down with sitting just to party and get drunk, when you don't have a slew of people lined up to watch your kids why waste 'em KWIM. My mum already watches our girls for us 3 days a week while I work so I feel just a little bit gulity asking her on weekends - although lately she has offered to watch them for us.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 10:16 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I personally don't do it.
    -xoxo-

Answer by -xoxo- at 10:26 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I have friends who dump their kids with their parents every weekend so they can go out and get shit faced and party. I think it's wrong and irresponsible as a parent. It pisses me off and I voiced that they shouldn't have had kids if they still wanted to party. Dumping a child with a grandparent so they can go drink EVERY weekend is wrong.

DH and I have our "adult time" where it's usually a business dinner, wedding, fundraiser or charity event. I have zero interest to drink anymore and DH might have a beer or 2. As I get older I realize drinking is not "fun" anymore when you have kids to tend to in the morning.

And I can't tell you how much I HATE people that drink and drive.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 10:26 AM on Oct. 19, 2009