Progesterone levels??

My sister just found out she's pregnant but her doctor isn't happy about her progesterone levels and told her she'll just have to wait it out and see what'll happen. She's 6 weeks 2 days with a level at 19. Can anyone remember what theirs was around that time? I can't remember mine at all for either of my girls. I want to help try to reassure her that it'll be ok and come up eventually but I don't want to give her false hope.

mychinababy

Asked by mychinababy at 9:49 AM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• They are probably running them again to compare. For me when mine were low they put me on medication, just a pill everyday. Nothing to worry about.
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 10:21 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• 19 is low, but it could be lower. Mine dropped to 4 at around 4 weeks and I started bleeding - I assumed I was miscarrying. I had to take progesterone shots until 11 weeks, and after that everything was fine. I also miscarried a previous pregnancy most likely due to low progesterone, though there is no way to know for sure.

If her doctor has not prescribed progesterone pills, suppositories, or shots, she should ask about it. Some doctors do not believe taking progesterone can save a pregnancy because low progesterone indicates something is wrong and the pregnancy is basically doomed. IF low progesterone is the only problem, then I fully believe it can help (it did help me).

If she does end up losing this pregnancy, she should get her progesterone levels checked very early next time she is pregnant and get on progesterone if her levels are low.

I hope it works out for her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• There is a web site that you can go to if you just search progesterone levels during early pregnancy but yes thats extremly low and she could possible misscary but there are supplements out there that she might want to talk to her doctor about. Prometrium is one of them, its just a progesterone supplement to help carry the baby safely. Around 6 weeks I think my progesterone was around 600+ and it double two days later which its supposed to do that. I followed my progesterone levels very closely cause I had to take a fertility drug called clomid to concieve my second child and I was able to tell by the progesterone levels alone if I was pregnant or not. She will loose the baby if she doesnt get some kind of help with a progesterone supplement so have her talk to her doctor asap. Im really suprized he hasnt talked to her about this yet. Best of luck to your sister
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 11:48 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• My progesterone was 20 at 5 wks 2 days and dropped to 15 at 6 wks 2 days. My doctor immediately started me on prometrium suppositories. I took them 2 times a day through 14 weeks. She needs to insist that she is checked again a week from the last time and be proactive. I miscarried twice before this one and they just don't do much to help you until you lose three in a row. If it can be prevented by a simple supplement, it will save her heartache. There is no reason why they should not check her again and she needs to tell them that she wants it done. Hope this helps!!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:52 AM on Oct. 19, 2009