How can I break the "TV Talk"?

Hi everyone, My son Timmy is 5 yrs old. Diagnosed with PDD-NOS at 31/2. Since he was three he has been self stimulation with scripted words or what I have called "TV TALK". Sometimes it is appropriate but when he started I thought he was just building his vocabulary. Little did I know that it was going to manifest itself into an obstacle for him in school and in social settings. I think that I would be a better parent if I could break this habit. We have designated a place for him where he can do the talking, where he can go and it isn't in the common areas of the house. It is in his room. And I can identify a bedroom in my family's houses or friends where he can go but the constant reminding and redirecting really wears on me. When he is not distracted by the "TV TALK" he is right on, totally in the moment. Can anyone help me? Has anyone had success ?

bigmama96

Asked by bigmama96 at 10:05 AM on Oct. 19, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I was told that if it is PDD-NOS, and not Asperger's, they can be easily broken out of their impulsive behaviors. Aspies cannot recognize impulsive behavior, let alone stop it easily. PDD-NOS kids can eventually recognize it and are easily distracted and feel regret from their behaviors.

I think you need to speak to his psychologist and/or developmental pediatrician (and therapists) about this behavior.
    Anonymous