flu shot and swine flu shot?

i have a baby 8 months old and i dont really want to get her any flu shots b/c i am not sure about them but i was considering get them b/c i go to work and have to deal with people but she doesnt go to daycare or go out alot but i saw 60 mins and just want to be safe but i have never had a flu shot or the flu, so i dont knwo what to expect a girl i work with was knocked out for like 48 hours. from the reg flu shot what do yall think?

melis1029

Asked by melis1029 at 10:10 AM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think you need to do your research and see what's best for you and your family. If you'd like to know, I do not give my children flu shots (we do vax for the most part), but I am DEFINITELY not giving them the swing flu shot. That thing has been blown out of proportion. It really has. That vaccine has only been out for 5 months...no real long-term testing. No thank you.
    jlry_ldy

Answer by jlry_ldy at 10:19 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• also if i have never had the flu does that mean that i could have an bulit in immunity to it? my mom said she has never had the flu either but had to get the shot this year b/c her employer wanted her t o she takes care of old people.. i really dont think my father or brother have ever had it either....
    melis1029

Answer by melis1029 at 10:27 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I always get a flu shot and have never had a reaction to it. It is not a live virus vs the nasal spray which is the live virus. I am also on the edge about the swine flu vaccine, I have a 2 year old and almost 6 month old and I am not to keen on it not being tested longterm and not knowing all the side effects. With your 8 month old they will give the flu shot in 2 doses 30 days apart. If you work with the public and your child isnt in daycare and not exposed to all the germs you will probably want to get you both vaccinated cause if for some reason you do get it that may no be very fun. I stay home with both my children and the whole family gets vaccinated, even my parents who occasionally watch the kids when we need are getting a flu shot. I hope this helps good luck with your decision.
    newmommy61207

Answer by newmommy61207 at 11:07 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• My daughter is getting the Flu shot but probably not the swine flu shot. If an outbreak happens just keep your child home. People act differently to the flu shot. Some feel tired some feel sick but really nothing to serious happens. Only a small amount of cases have bad things happen

You can also request a FLu shot withoutThimerosal. That is the form of mercury they use in preservatives. It is only in trace amounts. If you are worried about it tho you can request it without it in the shot.

The flu shot is the ONLY shot that still may contain the trace amounts of it. The CDC does in fact recommend flu shots for families.

There is an article in Parents magazine the November 2009 issue

http://www.parents.com/toddlers-preschoolers/health/flu/why-flu-shot/?page=1

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• If I thought it was really going to protect my child I might consider it more,but so many ppl get sick even with a flu shot, and the H1N1 is a whole different story. There has never been so much darn controversy in my life over something like this and I just feel right now its a bad choice when some doctors are hesitant.
    CurvyMommato1

Answer by CurvyMommato1 at 11:36 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I think you should do some research, and decide how you feel. Don't let a bunch of moms on the internet tell you what to do. We get neither. I have had the flu once (the same year I got the flu shot), and my baby just got over h1n1. I would not have gotten her the h1n1 shot, and I don't regret it. My 2 year old didn't get h1n1 from her, and neither did the rest of my family. We stayed home that entire week, to avoid spreading it.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 11:43 AM on Oct. 19, 2009