When do babies usually start smiling an cooing? An reaching for things?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my baby is 3 months and he started smiling at about 2 months and he still doesnt reach for things and grab them. He kicks at his toys on the boucy seat but thats about it. He was born at 35 weeks so I am not sure if he is alil behind.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 10:27 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• My daughter is 5 months. Although she was born at 31 weeks so she is 2 months behind. So really she is 3 months. She is laughing (not out loud yet). She is not reaching for anything. We are ready and waiting. Good Luck!!
    momtopreemie521

Answer by momtopreemie521 at 10:45 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• My dd started really smiling around 2 months and reaching for things around 3 months. Laughing started around 3 months also! So fun!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 10:51 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Your daughter is 5 months you dont count the rest of the pregnancy there should had been.
    Geeze

OP My baby started smiling at 2 1/2 months laughed out loud at 4 months and started grabbing things at 5 months She is now 6 months old
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Anon 11:00 - you are wrong. Doctors do say that premie babies are behind developmentally and will tell you to subtract the amount of time that they were preterm. Eventually it all evens out though.
    Anonymous

• Doesnt mean her child is 3 months old !!!!!!!
    My sister was 3 months early and they never said she was 3 months younger
    Anonymous

• Im not saying my child is 3 months old. I was saying that develepmentally she's at 3 months old. SHE IS 5 MONTHS OLD. Yes, the dr's do tell you to subtract the weeks (or months). So YOU are wrong Anonymous.
    momtopreemie521

Answer by momtopreemie521 at 1:32 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• to answer your question and not to argue about something trivial....

my son started giggling almost immediately... he laughed for the first time at 6 days old when he heard a cricket outside, and he smiled in his sleep all the time. i think my husband made him laugh for the first time around a month old. he is now just over 3 months old and he is starting to grab at things on his mobile and stick them in his mouth.

every baby develops differently though, so if your baby is a little faster or slower than some others... it's completely normal. i loved that he started smiling so early, but now it seems like he is developing so quickly, he is growing up so fast, i just wish i could keep him little forever, but it is so fun watching him find new things. yesterday we were watching football and he almost rolled all the way over to look at the tv, it was so awesome.
    1st_time_mom23

Answer by 1st_time_mom23 at 3:42 PM on Oct. 19, 2009