Circumcision

Im 28 weeks and Im on medicaid in Texas. Do any of you know if Texas medicaid covers the circumcision?

mycheyl

Asked by mycheyl at 10:27 AM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• im not sure but here it dont bc it consider as a cosmetic but u can call ur social worker she can tell u or call ur local hosptial !! they cud tell u too my 1st baby i paid 500 and i just had another lil boy in may of this yr and it was 220 . gud lucky i doubt they will pay for it .. and you have too pay for all up front well i did ..
    ashley_nick30

Answer by ashley_nick30 at 10:29 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I know in Louisiana they dont. You have to ask you DR. she will know also if they dont we had to pay 220 dollars. You might wanna check into it at your next dr appt. bc sometimes if you call the hospital ahead of time and pay them they will do it at birth which I didnt know and we had to wait 2 weeks after he was born to get it done. (it was sad)
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 10:29 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I ahve Tx medicaid too and I had my son in 2000 and it was covered then... I haven't heard of anything changing since then but I'm not sure
    Gigi76825

Answer by Gigi76825 at 10:46 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Things have been changing with insurances no longer covering it because it's cosmetic (unneeded) surgery. So they might have covered it but could have changed this recently, you can ask your doctor, midwife, nurse, or call in to the medicaid office.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:53 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I have 3 boys and all 3 were covered under medicaid and YES they covered their circumcision. No questions asked. We live in PA though. Id call your health insurance provider. I don't see why they wouldn't cover that kind of thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• "I don't see why they wouldn't cover that kind of thing."

Because there are no proven medical benefits to the procedure and significant drawbacks. It is now considered a cosmetic procedure and its routine performance is being phased out in many areas. The American Academy of Pediatrics no longer supports it. There are hospitals that don't do any routine circumcisions.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:20 PM on Oct. 19, 2009