How can I teach my son to talk.

He is 18 months and only says Dada. His doctor says he's behind and to keep an eye on it. But I would like to help him out. We do animal flash cards, I read to him, my husband and I point things out, (car, spoon, cat, etc.) he has his baby's first words videos and we never talk baby talk to him. Anyone know anything else I could do. Or if any of you have had you child in speach theripy and could tell me what you were told to do there that would be great?!

youngmama0331

Asked by youngmama0331 at 10:32 AM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Does he babble? My firstborn didn't talk much at all. He also didn't babble as a baby. People would tell me to work with him, but if he won't say anything back to you there are only so many times you can repeat words to him! Lol!! I realize every child is different, but I would just encourage my son to say a word whenever he jsut pointed. I never pushed him. He was very advanced in other areas and TALL. I felt like all his energy and attention was busy learnoing and doing other things. He will be 4 in December and talks all the time now (though is still hard to understand with some words). Good luck! I know others will be able to give you more specific advice.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:40 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• my 2yr old has delay speech .. he just suddenly started talking but is still not a speech of a 2yr should have. So when the dr told me he was behind ... i ask for info and got him into b-2-3 they come to your house and work with your child. they usually tell you what else you can do to encourage what to do to help. Else my oldest son else was on speech therapy because he was surrounded by 3diff languages so he got confused and got delay on his speech soon as b-2-3 got involved he started talking english
    but i do my best as reading to them, playing cards games and words & pictures books and else the einstein movies helps them out.
    20_mama_3

Answer by 20_mama_3 at 10:45 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Don't worry yet. Boys can take longer to talk. We knew my oldest was normal and he didn't start really talkling until he was 3. My youngest had developmental delays and we did the early intervention with speech therapy.

You can teach him baby signs. I teach my grandson. It was helpful when he learned to clap when he likes things. He signs more perfectly and it is so cute to see.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:17 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• If you feel he's behind at all, I would call early intervention and set up an evaluation. If he is delayed, they will offer you speech therapy, either free or on a sliding scale based on income. The earlier you jump on any delay, the quicker he will catch up.

Answer by missanc at 11:20 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• On my sons 2nd birthday he could say mama and dada. Nothing else. By 2.5 his vocabulary surpassed his sisters who was 3 years older than him. I also had one who was talking in full sentences at 12 months. They are so different, I would just give him some time. Good luck!
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 11:22 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• my daughter didn't start really talking until 20 months now she is 24 months and she is using two words and tryin to make sentences.. she motions alot. .don't worry too much.. just keep talking to your son alot. he'll burst out making lots of words soon..(hopefully). don't do too much tv..it doesn't help with talking
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 12:26 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I agree with missanc. Call Early Intervention and have him evaluated. He may or may not qualify for services but the sooner you find out, the sooner you can get him speech therapy if need be. Many EI's also have playgroups which are great for helping to develop speech/language. In fact, they often have specific ones just for children who are receiving speech therapy.

You're doing all the right things. Be sure that if he's watching tv that you watch with him so that you can talk/ask questions throughout the program and turn it from a passive activity into an interactive activity.

Finally, baby signs can help too, especially when paired with the spoken word.

Good luck!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 1:59 PM on Oct. 19, 2009