In your opinion, what is a good amount of clothes for kids to have?

I ask this because I was doing laundry last night and my kids have so many clothes, it's crazy! It;s not like we're always buying new clothes. I have 3 boys so when my oldest outgrows something, it goes to my middle son, and when he outgrows something it goes to the youngest. So as long as it's still in good shape, we don't get rid of too many clothes. It makes doing the laundry ridiculous and we don't have room for all of it! Do you think it would be a good idea to have a certain amount of shirts and pants per child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• We end up with clothes overload because my mom is constantly buying clothes. She loves shopping. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate it, but we do end up with more clothes than we have room for if I don't stay on top if it.

I go through the clothes every month or so. Stained, ripped, etc clothes go into the rag bag, outgrown clothes or clothes that aren't really being worn get donated. I try to have a week worth of clothing at a minimum, and no more than 2 weeks maximum, or as much as they have storage for. Both of my girls are way into clothes than the boys are and like to have a wider selection, they have larger dressers and hang on to more clothes. They just have to help out taking care of their own laundry if they want to continue to have larger wardrobes.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:25 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• It depends on if you have a washer and dryer and how often you do laundry. You could take all their clothes out of closets, dressers, ect. Put back in what they need for a week and special occasion clothes. The rest put in storage tubs by size. If they need more clothes then it will be easy to go to the tubs. Try to keep it to a minimum number of tubs. Get rid of things that are torn or stained.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:58 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I'm like you I don't get rid of clothes. I have 3 boys and we do the hang them down system. There are clothes that I have in tubs that are still to big for my middle son. My boys also seem to have tons of clothes because everytime I turn around somebody is giving my kids clothes. My oldest son has 15 pairs of Jeans alone. That's more than my hubby and me combined. That's not including his nice pants and his jogging pants. I don't think it's bad but you might want to put some stuff up or just figure out a nice way to organize them so they don't overtake your house.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 11:03 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Theres no reason to keep clothes (for any family member) that aren't worn so I would consider donating what you don't need anymore just to make it more manageable. Also try doing a load of laundry a day. It really makes laundry much faster and less overwhelming.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 11:14 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• We are a family of 7 and I try to have 15 complete outfits for each child that way if I don't do laundry for a few days clothing still is plentiful the 15 includes dress clothes play clothes lounge around clothes and go away some what nice go away clothes.
    I also arrange their clothes in complete outfits with underwear and socks to make dressing easier in the morning
    mtnaspen

Answer by mtnaspen at 11:27 AM on Oct. 19, 2009